Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More chemo, taper starts

Emily had her IV chemo today. It was a long day at the day hospital. She had to have her labs drawn and then wait for the results before she could get her chemotherapy. Since Emily's stomach was in so much pain, Dr Link also wanted to check her for pancreatitis just to be sure. She was negative for pancreatitis and her labs were great, so she got the chemo. All this took around 6 hours.

Emily started her Dexamethazone today. We can already see that she is perking up a little. More smiles and laughing which is really nice. She also wanted to play the Wii with me tonight when she got home from chemo. She will look puffy for weeks, that part I don't care as much about catatonic behavior she has been displaying.

The rest of the week we will continue to taper from the Dexamethazone, in all it will take 9 days to taper, cutting the dose in half every 3 days. So today she is on half the dose that she's been on the past 20 days, and Friday we will cut that in half and so on. She doesn't have to go back to the hospital or the clinic until next week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I am so happy to hear that your dad is seeing some smiles from you. You are such a trooper. You are in my thoughts everyday. I am happy that you wanted to play Wii with your dad. I played Wii with my grandchildren yesterday. They have a game called "fitness" I think that's what its called. I had to stand on a platform and move like I was doing a hula hoop and while you are doing that you are dodging soccerballs....my grandchildren had a good time laughing at their grandma. I know that you will get better with each passing day. As always I miss seeing you at Country Lane.
love,
mrs. breit

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
We are so happy to hear the Dexamethazone is finally tapering off and you are showing some smiles again. Have fun playing Wii and feel better soon. I love you so much.
Grannie & Grampa too

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
I am thrilled that you are smiling a bit more and that hopefully you're feeling a little better. You have been through so much and deserve a huge break. I hope you continue to feel more like yourself again. I'm sure you'll be dancing soon. You put on such special shows! Haley will enjoy being your back up singer, I'm sure!
Love,
Mrs. Smith

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Hi Emily! I'm sorry your tummy hurt so but really glad it wasn't pancreatitis. SO glad to hear that you are smiling and laughing more!

The boys LOVE to play the Wii. They get "Wii Weekends" so they are super excited for Saturday! lol! Ken just read that you like to play the Wii too. He wanted to know if you would like to play with him sometime. OH! He also wants to know what Wii games you have.

love and hugs,
Jane

Emma said...

We love the Wii! Glad to hear that you are starting to feel a little more cheerful that probably really helps Mom and Dad too. We are always thinking of you! Did you see the Buffs have won both their games so far this season :)

Anonymous said...

HI Peppers-
Just wanted you to know we always check your blog and think about you - Emily I am happy to hear you are feeling a little better - and I know it won't be long before you will feel good inside again!!! Hope we can see you and your family soon!

Love you!!!
Jessica, John, Allie, Em & Spencer