Saturday, September 20, 2008

Complication, Emily has been hospitalized

Tonight everything seemed great. Emily was having a little pain while walking from the Vinchristine. It was also Tracy and my 10th, which we celebrated last night, but went out with the kids for dinner to celebrate as a family. We had a fun time.

When we got home Emily got ready for bed, and about 30 minutes after going to bed, she came out of her room to tell me she agreed with my decision not to give her a snack. I thought it was a new angle on getting food, reverse psychology or something. I patted her on the head and noticed she was warm. I took her temp and is was 102, which is above the danger level, she needs to be at an ER within 30 minutes of that reading. I woke Tracy up, she took her temp and got 101.5, still above the threshold.

We called the Oncology after hours number and they had the ER at Stanford prepared for our arrival. Tracy took Emily up while I waited for my Mom to come over to be here with Haley. Emily and Tracy got there and her heart rate was really high about 160 per minute, and she has a fever. They took her blood and she is neutropenic, meaning she doesn't have the natural ability to fight whatever she has. They started IV fluids to get her heart rate down and she is on a high dose antibiotic. She will be admitted to Packard tonight and will be there until this is all under control. We are really scared but this does happen in treatment and all we can do is be glad we happpen to catch this early tonight while she is still feeling relatively OK, and that we are treating is as I write this.

It will be several days for the blood culture to tell us exactly what infection she has, but for now she is being treated for general sepsis. I have the feeling she could be in patient a while.

Please keep Emily in your thoughts and prayers this weekend. This is a complication that is very serious.

3 comments:

PleaseRecycle said...

A friend of a friend linked me to your blog and I've been following Emily's progress. My daughter has leukemia and is going through a similar treatment.

I'm sorry to hear Emily is in the hospital. Mollie has also had to go to the ER in the middle of the night with a fever and had to stay in the hospital several days on antibiotics.

And I don't know if it's due to excitement or maybe too much wishful thinking but these things always seem to happen on the weekend and/or in the middle of the night for us too.

Sending good thoughts for Emily!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, what a terrible complication! You all are in our thoughts and pray that Emily improves quickly. Thank goodness you noticed the fever before she went to bed.
Love, Aunt Ann & Uncle Chris

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you guys!!!
The Learys