Saturday, September 20, 2008

Another update

They got the results of the second chest x-ray. The good news is they have totally ruled out pneumonia which the ER thought they saw. The bad or scary news is the mass that Emily has had in her chest all these months has changed, and they don't really know why. Dr Link is thinking it is because she was not able to take a deep breath for the x-ray and that is making the mass appear larger, but until he can verify that it is a concern to follow up on. He said if she were relapsing or if this were progressing to Leukemia he would have seen other signs in her x-ray and blood levels. I can tell though, that they are worried about this.

Right now I am here with Emily in her room, she is sleeping. When she is awake I can tell she is scared by how quiet she is being.

Her last temp read 98.8 so the fever is getting under control, though it seems to stay there and then bounce up from time to time. She is getting very strong IV antibiotics every 8 hours, the next dose is due around 5pm. I hope that after they have her on this for 24 hours we don't see any more elevated heart rate or fever spikes.

In 2 or 3 days they will do another x ray to see what's up with this mass. That part worries Tracy and I very much. that mass has always been something we haven't felt comfortable with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulate yourselves on being so observant. Emily is lucky to have such great parents. You are all in my thoughts...and I am thinking lots of positive ones to get you through these trying times. With the antibiotics, I am sure Emily will be more like her old self soon. My best wishes for a speedy exit from the hospital.
Celia

Unknown said...

Can Emily have visitors? We will be up there for an appointment on Monday afternoon and we'd love to stop by with something to help cheer her up. We can all wear masks to be safe. :)

We are frequent flyers at LPCH so we know that Em is in good hands. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Just read the last few days updates on the blog. Extra prayers and thoughts coming your way for Emily. You have been so strong throughout this and I am praying for a speedy recovery for Emily and sending positive thoughts your way. She has been so strong throughout all of this and you are excellent parents to have caught this so early.

Love to you all.
mrs. breit