Monday, September 15, 2008

Almost done with the first half of phase 4

Phase 4 of Emily's chemotherapy is split into two parts; reinduction and then reconsolidation. This weeks marks the end of the reinduction portion of the phase. It's a bit confusing because each were a separate phase earlier but are rolled into one phase at the end. Today Emily went into the clinic to have her labs drawn so that hopefully tomorrow will go faster, without as much waiting for lab results before chemo can be administered. Emily is scheduled to get IV Vinchristine tomorrow, that is the last of the medication for reinduction. She is also on the last step of her Dexamethazone treatment and will be completely off of it this Wednesday.

Reconsolidation is scheduled to start on Sept. 23rd, but the start date is really blood count dependent so that's just the best guess we have. Reconsolidation will include among other things, 2 lumbar punctures, and IV Cyterabine, and Cytoxin. She will also be on daily oral 6MP medication. There are at least 2 other medications involved but I am writing this without her protocol in front of me and I can't remember the details.

Emily is still having a hard time, pretty much like what I described in my past post. Daily we can see an improvement in her affect but she is still not back to herself. And the food cravings continue to be out of control. Over the weekend she ate so much food, and stuffed herself so much that she had abominal pain for a good 12 hours after coming home. She is very insistent on getting the food she wants and I think it's harder for my Mom to say "no" than it is for us. Luckily we're near the end of the high dose Dexamethazone, it is the toughest medication Emily has had to take in chemo, in my opinion.

We hope Emily will feel like going back to school soon. I was hoping it would be this week, but I have my doubts at this point, right now she does not fit into any of her clothes and she is so puffy, I think she might have a hard time in front of other kids, and the last thing I want is for her to feel bad about the way she looks. I am sure she already does and doesn't need it to be called out.

As I write this post I am sitting here looking at Emily's first grade photo, back when she was very healthy. It's hard to see her change so much, to see her go through all this pain. I do try to take things a day at a time, but right now it's easier for me to think ahead 6 weeks and that she will be done with the hard part of chemo.

6 comments:

Emma said...

Chris, you are almost there! We are always thinking of all of you and continue to be amazed by Emily's great courage and character. Love to you all.

Jessica Nichols said...

Count time in whatever way helps the most. In the beginning, one day works because the big picture is very overwhelming. Now, near the finish line, it is very motivating to look ahead.

I'm very sorry Em is struggling so much. My heart goes out to all of you. I can't wait until she is off that med. Even so, I remind myself of the second cancer commandment:

"Thou shalt love thy chemotherapy, thy radiation, and thy other treatments even as thyself, for they are thy friends and champions. Although they may exact a toll for their endeavors, they are oft most generous in the favors they bestow. "

Jessica Nichols said...

I want to clarify why I reminded myself of that one, because if it's making Emily feel that miserable it is making the lymphoma feel even WORSE. And yay for that!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys! I can't believe all you have been going through - you guys are so strong!!!
Hope Em feels better soon.
Love,
The Learys

Anonymous said...

Dear Pepper Family -
I cannot believe how difficult this phase continues to be for Emily and for the whole family. The unremitting severity of the Dexamethazone is more than anyone should have to endure. Just hearing about it makes me cry, so I can barely imagine the toll it is taking on all of you. Take care of yourselves and stay strong. I love you so much.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

I am away from school for this week, but continue to read about Emily's progress. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers and I look forward to seeing Emily back at school soon.
Love to all of you.
Mrs. Breit