Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dexamethazone blues

Emily is really showing the signs of being on high dose steroids. We think the Dexamethazone is a little harder on her than the Prednisone. She will start to taper on Tuesday, the taper takes 9 days. She is very bloated in her face and belly. It is getting to the point where she isn't as mobile. She will be on Dexamethazone 9 less days than she was on the Prednisone, and I hope that means she will bounce back a little quicker. Who knows, we will see.

Because she is feeling so rotten, and it's so hot outside, we aren't doing much this weekend. Next weekend is my 20th high school reunion and I am really hoping Emily will be able to join me to it.

This next week she will start the Dexamethazone taper on Tuesday, taking half the dose she is currently taking. On Tuesday she will also have IV Vinchristine and Doxorubicin. She won't have to be back for treatment after that for a full week. My guess is she will have to go in on Friday for a blood draw as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I am sorry to hear that this part of your treatment is so difficult. It will be over soon. We miss you so much at school. I know that Mrs. Maino was coming to see you on Friday. I hope her visit went well.The hot weather is making everyone pretty uncomfortable and I plan to stay inside myself this weekend. I look forward to seeing you back at school just as soon as you feel up to it.
Love,
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
I'm praying that the tapering down of Dexamethazone will make a huge difference in how you feel. It will be nice not to have to go to the doctor for a whole week too. I love you and think of you every single day, sweetie.
Grannie

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Hi Emily! I'm sorry it's been so much harder being on Dexamethazone. Hoping that taking half the dose will make a big difference in the way you feel. Hang in there! lots of love and hugs, Jane.