Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another weekend

This weekend we are taking it pretty easy again. The big event actually is my 20th high school reunion tonight in Portola Valley at the Priory. Tracy and I are going and leaving the girls at my Mom's house.

Emily is still having a really hard time. The taper has helped with some of the depression, but her appetite has maybe increased as we taper. All Emily wants to do is eat. Yesterday I took her out for Japanese food at lunch, which right now is one of her big cravings. She ate a bowl of rice, a bowl of miso soup, and some edamame, then a bowl of green tea ice cream. Emily commented that she was "stuffed". I then met Tracy back at my office, so I could go back to work and she could take Emily home, and as soon as I was gone, Emily was begging Tracy for a cheeseburger. Then when they got home she ate several more bowls of rice, and so on and so on. We finally told her last night that she couldnt' have more to eat, and she burst into tears. We gave in and gave her some chicken broth, then she wanted bananas with peanut butter, and then bed. This morning she woke up and ate 2 bowls of rice and an egg with toast, and right now is begging me to go to Starbucks for hot cocoa. It doesn't stop. She doesn't fit into her clothes, and has a major struggle walking up two stairs from our family room to dining room.

We still have 4 more days until she will be totally tapered from Dex, and then these cravings will get smaller over time. I am glad we have been through steroids before in the beginning of treatment, I know these effects are temporary. It makes it much easier to deal with.

On Tuesday Emily will be getting IV Vinchristine to finish out re-induction. Then it's onto 5 weeks of reconsolidation, then maintenance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris and Tracey,
I hope you will have a wonderful time at Chris' High School Reunion. Its important for the two of you to have time together and grandparents are the perfect answer to having the children for a bit. I can tell from all of your writings on the blog how much Emily and Haley are loved by their grandparents. I will take a week of vacation to stay with my grandchildren so that my daughter and son-in-law can get away to celebrate their 10th wedding aniversary. Staying with our grandchildren is what grandparents do best. Have a wonderful time tonight and as always I keep Emily and all of you in my thoughts and prayers. This difficult time will pass and before we all know it I know Emily with be back at school with us.
mrs. breit

Jessica Nichols said...

I hope you guys can leave your worries behind tonight and have a great time. Poor Em, those steroid food cravings are awful. I can't wait until she feels better!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
Have fun tonight at the reunion and try to get a little time to yourselves. Even with the blog descriptions, it is so difficult for us to imagine how draining all this is for you. Take care of yourselves, and I hope Emily is feeling better tomorrow as the tapering continues. She deserves to have a break from this soon.
Love, Grannie

derbymomma said...

how did the reunion go? wow! 20 years? are we really that old?

i can't imagine how hard it must be to have those food cravings...i remember my friend having them and how horrible it made her feel. i hope it gets better soon.