Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday March 30th

Today was a hard day for Emily. She is feeling stomach sick from all the medication she is taking. On weekends they have her on a course of Bactrim, which is a antibiotic. She is taking it as a preventative for infections since her natural defenses are so low. We think it is making her feel extra sick. She is not in pain but just feels yucky. It's hard for her, but she told me "I just have to do what I have to do to get better." We are going to talk with the Doctor's about changing the doses of some of the stomach (zantac) and anti-nausea (zofran) medications. They told us there is more they can do if it gets bad.

Overall we had a very nice weekend. My Brother, Nick, was up for the weekend. Nick, Grandma, and all of us spent most of Saturday together at the house. In the evening Nick and Grandma babysat and Tracy and I actually went out to the Mall ! and then had a drink at Santana Row. It was really nice to be out, just the two of us. I also got away for a 2 hour hike on Saturday with my really good friend Rob.

As much as it can, Chemo is starting to become routine. I have decided that I will go back to work on Tuesday. It will be really hard not to be with Emily and my family every second of the day, but I need to work, it's an important part of keeping things as normal as they can be. Tracy will be taking at least 3 more months off, or if we can swing it, even more.

Tomorrow we are back at the day hospital for some labs and her 8th of 9 shots of L-asparaginase. She is so excited to be almost done with this course of thigh shots. I've got to come up with some sort of creative celebration for her.

Tracy and I also want to thank everyone again for all the help and support, and specifically all the yummy meals, the laundry, the shopping, the child care, gifts, the emails, phone calls, comments on the blog, and just all the prayer and well wishes. We feel so amazed and fortunate that we know all of you and that you care so much for us.

13 comments:

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the nausea and stomach sickness. Hope they can do more for Emily before its gets worse. Have they tried Zofran? I don't know much about medicine for chemotherapy but I do remember taking this about the same time I had to go in for my PICC line. The nurse said it was intended for nausea and such for those undergoing chemo treatments. It helped me with my nausea and stomach sickness although it was nothing like what Emily is going through.

Hang in there, Pepper family! Routine is a good thing. One day at a time for all. You're almost done with this course of thigh shots, Emily! Way to go! Sending lots of happy thoughts and big hugs for all. Jane

Hippogal said...

I read the blog every day to see the progress... and I'm absolutely blown away by Emily's strength and bravery, as well as the rest of the family. Keeping you all in my prayers and thoughts in Australia.

Emma said...

Emily we are sorry to hear you had a rough weekend and were feeling yucky, having your Uncle Nick and Grandma visiting must have been nice. You have such an amazing positive attitude! Chris and Tracy, we are glad to see that you got some time together, it is so important when you are dealing with all of this. Good luck with starting back at work Chris.

Jessica Nichols said...

That antibiotic has always upset my stomach a lot too. Hopefully adjusting the Zantac and Zofran does the trick quickly and provides more relief. I am amazed by Emily's fighting spirit and acceptance of all the discomfort of chemo, including the hair loss. What an inspiration! I felt happy hearing about you guys getting out for a bit on Saturday to recharge. Thank you for updating the blog so regularly, even though I don't know Emily -- her smile is infectious and she is helping me keep MY spirits up when I get down about my lymphoma.

Jess

Coby said...

Hey Guys!

Congrats on getting through all the shots, that is fantastic. I am sorry you're not feeling great, I know that can be lousy. Hang in there!! Ever and I are thinking of you and sending all of our love.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Emily! You have a great attitude and that's so important! We are all thinking of you out here in Pleasanton and Jonathan says he wants to come by soon to see you!

The Pearce's

Anonymous said...

Hello Sweet Emily:
We are all so proud about how incredibly brave you are. Many grown-ups would not be as brave.
(Hats off to mommy and daddy too!)
The yucky thigh shots will be over soon!
We love you bunches,
Katina, Steve, Owen and Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Tracy -

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this blog on Emily. I know it must not be easy, but it is so helpful for friends and family to be able to turn to this to find out how Emily is doing. It's also nice because it allows us to feel close, without being invasive. I marvel at Emily's spirit....she is a true inspiration!

erica said...

Oh dear goodness, bless her little heart. I am so sorry she is so sick. I am praying hard for her (and you) and sending hugs your way. My heart is breaking and I hope she feels better soon! I just know she will!!!!
Hugs!
Erica

Caroline said...

Emily,
You are so brave! Fight hard and this will soon pass. Our prayers are with you each day.

Mrs. Sienknecht

Unknown said...

I know Copy already posted, but I wanted to send my love as well! Emily, I am working on knitting a beautiful hat for you. Your uncle Nick told me that pink is your favorite color, so I am trying to find all the pink yarn I can. I know that this whole cancer thing is so hard, but you are so brave and strong... and once this is all over, there will be no stopping you! All your dreams will come true. Stay strong. As always, you are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Ever and Coby

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

You are amazing! Congratulations on almost being all done with your shots. You are very brave. We are always thinking of you.
Love and hugs,
Mrs. Smith

Anonymous said...

Hi Pepper Family-
You guys are amazing the way you are working through this incredible and difficult journey. Does Packard connect you with other parents for support? I'm sure there is some benefit in venting to other parents who really "understand" - and it might give you strength on those low moments.
We love the blog and talk about Emily all the time. When she's up for it - Allie would like to give her a fun manicure!
Let us know when shot #9 is due - we'd like to provide 9 of something...(cupcakes?)
Lots of love,
Jessica, John, Allie,Emma and Spencer