Thursday, March 27, 2008

Status Quo

Today Mommy is going to post so let's see how that goes! :-)

Emily had a good day today and yes, she did get her Taco Bell nachos with Daddy and she didn't even share. Actually she did share exactly one chip with Haley so that was very sweet of her. Chris's mom, Gail, came over and had lunch with us and had several hours of quality Em-time that they both enjoyed.

Mommy, actually, didn't really participate with the rest of the family since she had been up with Haley in the night and needed to rest! Little Haley was very much a cranky-poo today so we hope she's still just feeling yucky from the ear infection and it's nothing else. If she's not herself by tomorrow then maybe we'll have to take her in to the doctor. Again. Oh, boy.

Tomorrow Em goes to the oncology clinic for a lab draw and yet another chemo shot in her leg. After tomorrow's dose she will have only 2 left so that is something to look forward to. Yippee!

Tonight I was looking over Emily's treatment plan for the next 5-week phase (called consolidation) and I'm afraid it doesn't get any better. In fact, it kind of looks worse! Starting around mid-April, she will need IV chemo for 4 days in a row, 3 days off, 4 on, 3 off, etc. for a total of 24 days. Crap! Boy, when the oncologists said we would know every nook and cranny of LPCH at the end of this, they weren't kidding! At least there are no IM shots during consolidation. We need to follow up on this tomorrow and make sure I am reading this "road map" correctly.

Well, I guess that's it for me. I gotta go to bed. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help...all of you! Every night I love looking at all the comments people have posted and they make me feel really supported and totally positive! I don't know what we would do without all of you. Thanks again. :-)

11 comments:

Emma said...

Wow, Emily, I continue to be amazed at your resilience. I can't believe all the things you are doing the day after chemo. Good luck with your shot today. Tracy, it was nice to hear your "voice" on the blog. Hugs across the miles.

Anonymous said...

Tracy! You're a blogger!

I know it's hard to see what's coming up...and how hard it will be for Emily.

I am praying, though, that they only detours on that road are good ones.

Hugs!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Dear Tracy - It's good to see your thoughts appear on the blog. With everything that needs to be done when I'm there each week, there is so much we don't get to talk about. I love you and support you.
Love, Mom/Grannie

Jessica Nichols said...

Hi Tracy!

It's great to see you blogging also. I was especially happy to read that you rested while the family visited. You clearly know that caregivers need to refresh themselves often to do the best job possible for their patients. Ah you must be a nurse! Nurses rock. There is nothing like having a great nurse take care of you. I'm glad all the comments help you guys, I will try to comment more often. Hmm, do you guys have grand plans yet to celebrate the last chemo shot in the leg?

Jess

James said...

Hi Tracy,
Everyone on C3/B1 is pulling for Emily and family. I'm incredibly proud of how you and Chris are dealing with all of your challenges. It's amazing how much joy Taco Bell nachos can bring to someone =). All of your friends at Stanford miss you and we all wish we could lighten this load for you and your loved ones.
Take very good care,
James (Tracy's nurse apprentice)

Anonymous said...

HI TRACY! Thanks for adding your voice to the Blog....it helps me to you and Chris, and while I know much of what is said comes from both of you, I feel like we are having little private talks that are intimate, and loving, and I feel very close to you both. And its not intrusive, either! Many Blessings on you, love, carol r.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Its Grampa Steve. I hope you are having a good day today. I've been trying to catch up with work and my home tasks since we got home Wednesday night. Yesterday we had a visit from a wild turkey hen. She came up to the patio door and pecked at the window trying to get in. This has happened before but not for some time. Grannie and I will be coming to see you again next week and maybe you can show me how to use the Wii. I used to be an excellent bowler so maybe you should practice up on that game before we return. See you and give Haley a hug for me.

Love you,
Grampa Steve

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

We are thinking of you always. The kids have made you another book that I'd love to share with you. We are all so proud of you. You are so brave.
We love you!
Love, Mrs. Smith and the kids

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Great to see you posting, Tracy! I bet you are exhausted. Hoping you got some rest after the all nighter. Wow! That is some treatment plan. Four days in a row! Yikes! That's so intense! Well, Emily... it seems like your cravings for the nachos have triggered my cravings because I am going to be having Taco Bell tonight after bowling! lol! I have been dreaming about the nachos ever since reading about them the other day. :) Sending all my love, Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for updating the blog too. I love that you folks are including everyone by keeping this up. I pray every day for Emily and all of you, and it helps to see how things are going. I will try to comment more. I wasn't sure if you had time to read them all.

We are all praying for Emily and all of you, and nacho addicts too... Parenting is so hard, especially under these conditions. You both are doing such a good job!
Emily is so awesome, touched by grace.

One day - one moment - one prayer at a time you will all get through this!

We love you all so much!
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Anonymous said...

Hi Pepper Family-
Thank you for keeping me posted and the fact that I can reach you anytime and hear how you are is so comforting...because we think about you all the time!!!
Any time you are up for a short visit from either Emma or Allie- just call - we'd be happy to drop someone by....
Take it one day at a time - pace yourselves and take care!!
Love, Jessica, & the Tracy gang...