Thursday, March 20, 2008

Blah

Today was a tough day. The effects of the Chemo are starting to be seen in Emily. It's very hard to observe and I have no idea how hard it must be for Emily. She has really bad leg pain. In the hospital she likes the wheel chair, at home she limps around. This is a very common and reversible side effect of one of the Chemo drugs. She is also has an upset stomach and a pale look to her. There fewer smiles from her today. That said she still managed to have some fun today and Tracy and I are constantly consoling her and making sure there is nothing more we can do for her.

Today was tough but I am trying to prepare myself for more, and actually worse days ahead. Most of us know this, but for those who don't, they basically have to poison Emily to a point where she is very sick, and they have to completely take down her T Cells, or immune system. She is at risk during this time so you won't be seeing us out in public much. Tracy and I have to try to stay away from colds too because if we get them we can't care for Emily as well.

I am really trying to prepare myself for her to loose her hair, I saw many bald children in the day hospital yesterday. It's so sad what all these kids endure. And on top of it all they have to loose their hair.

Tomorrow we will be back at the hospital for another Chemo injection. They aren't going to need to put her under tomorrow, so she's going to feel this one.

11 comments:

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

I'm so sorry for everything Emily has to endure and for what you watch her go through. Not many moments go by during the day where I'm not thinking of Emily. Constant good thoughts and prayers are going out for strength and better days. With much love, Jane

Unknown said...

HI CHRIS AND TRACY,

Great news about her being home with all of you. Thank you for keeping me informed through this blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you in the months ahead.
Hugs for Emily and Hailey. Best love, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,
My thoughts, prayers, and heart are with you and your family. It is good to see that Emily has inherited her father's determination. I hope that the smily times far outweigh the sad or painful times in the months ahead. All the best love to you and Tracy and Emily and Hailey.
Linda

Anonymous said...

I read the blog everyday and continue to pray for strength for Emily and your family. May knowing that there are many many people praying for you family help.
Love and positive thoughts to Emily.

Emma said...

We are sorry to hear that you had such a rough day. Good luck at the hospital today. Sending lots of hugs and kisses across the miles.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily and Family,

What a strong young lady you have there. A friend of your family sent me this link, and while we have never met, I feel that I know you already from this blog. Please continue to be strong. People around the world are starting to hear about Emily, and many good thoughts and prayers are coming your way. My husband fought Lymphoma also, and there are so many newer treatments out there. And remember, one day at a time; and sometimes, one hour at a time. Big hugs to such a beautiful little girl!

Love,
Susan Royall
Boca Raton, FL
(STOP NHL Message Board)

Anonymous said...

Hi Peppers,
We are just catching up on the blog and so happy to hear Emily can be at home now. She really is a hero, isn't she!!! Know that on the tough days we are all thinking about your family, and especially Emily.

with love, amy & kevin

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Chris, for sharing this with us. Tell Emily "Hi," and that I hope she still has her wand that I saw her with when you visited me around Christmas time.

Jane

Jessica Nichols said...

Hi again, that is my friend Susan there posting from our awesome lymphoma support board that has carried me through almost 8 years of fighting lymphoma.

One of the greatest things the board gave me was the Ten Commandments of Cancer, here is a link:

http://www.lymphomation.org/10commandments.htm

Just one of countless ways to get through the blah days. One thing about the upset stomach -- keep trying anything and everything because you never know what will do the trick and it can change from day to day. I had a very hard time with fluids so chewing crushed ice was helpful. I think for a kid, frozen crushed juice might work very well.

Keep posting!

Jess from Del Mar and an
8-year-survivor of non-Hodgkins

The McAdoo's said...

Hi Tracy,
Give Emily a big hug for me and tell her she is my hero!!!

Gaby

Anonymous said...

Hi Peppers-
Always thinking of you and all you are dealing with! I'm hoping that the sunshine brings healing energy to your home and also ends the nasty cold season and generally keeps people around Emily healthy too.
Please share if you have any favorite dinner/dessert foods for upcoming meals!
And, my girls want to know if Emily has any WebKinz animals...yet?
Love,Jessica, John & gang....