Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 15


Today was a roller coaster of emotions for us. The day started off great. We got the news that the chest tube was going to be removed. That's a big step. Then Emily was visited by her friend Gray Tynefield. The picture today is Emily and Grey working on and perfecting Emily's Leprechaun trap. Emily is hoping to catch a few Leprechaun's this St. Patty's Day.


This afternoon was more difficult. Emily had to have the procedure to remove the chest tube, and she also had to get a shot in her thigh muscle, which is very painful. She was first given a double dose of Morphine, with some Ativan (sedative), and some Benadryl to make her drowsy and out of it, so they could give her this painful shot. I am sure the medication helped but Emily was crying and in a lot of pain after.

For some reason, after all that the nurse suggested that Tracy and I take Emily out of her room in a wheel chair. The Oncologist signed off that Emily could leave without her monitors for an hour, so I pushed the wheel chair while Tracy dragged along the IV pole with Emily's cocktail of IV drugs. I have to say this is a VERY hard thing to do, walking by a window, seeing a nice Saturday and the realization of how messed up this all is. Emily was bawling and then said "I can't believe this is all happening to me." At that point I lost it and started crying. I held my tears as much as possible for Emily. I could tell Emily had come to a deeper understanding of what is going on. I feel so powerless and I want to make her better and I can't.

The day ended on a happier note with a visit from her classmate Anna.

I know I need to be prepared for days like these, and I got through it. I am happy for the happy parts of the day.

By the way if you visit, and CAN NOT say the word "Home". If you do, Emily will start to cry instantly, she really wants to be home. And we want her home so bad I am not a good enough writer to express it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, this is Kim, Susanne's siser. I don't have Tracy's cell, but wondered if Emily would like a visit from Belle, Alice in Wonderland or Snow White? I know she is into HS musical and Hannah Montana these days, but the lovely girl who is coming as Princess Aurora to Nora's party would love to visit Emily in character..she will sing and read her stories. She could come this coming Sat. (day before Easter) if you think that would work.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

My heart goes out to you and Tracy. I can not begin to imagine how difficult and painful this is. Emily's Leprechaun trap is quite something! I hope she catches a Lephrechaun or two... don't they make wishes come true? :)

Emma said...

What a great Leprechaun trap, you look like you are quite an artist! We hope all your wishes come true!

Veronica said...

Chris,
Jane let me know of your beautiful daugher Emily and her long battle. I want you to know that I will pray for her each and everyday my stranger friends. I understand that we can't send stuffed bears or the like at this time and that only cards can be sent. Would you please let us know or at least let Jane know when I could send her a doll, a bear or anything like that she may like. I will be away for a few days attending a conference but once I return will have a card sent right out to her. Please let either myself or Jane know what her likes are.
God Bless and again each and everyday..... I will pray for Emily.

Anonymous said...

This is great news - I am so happy that you wil be able to go home tomorrow.....I continue to pray for all of you....looking forward to seeing Emiloy really soon.