Friday, March 14, 2008

March 14th


Today was truly great day. Emily only had to have one procedure done on her, an EKG to check the fluid build up around her heart. Then we got some good news, it looks like the fluid around the heart is starting to recede, so much that they don't feel they need to do another EKG until next week. They also have noticed significant action in her collapsed lung, meaning it is starting to really expand. We are hopeful that the chest tube will be removed soon. One of our biggest struggles is the oral medicine Emily needs to take, but she is getting better at taking it without a fight.

Emily is noticalby more comfortable, which makes all of us much less tense. This afternoon Emily had a visit from her good friends Olivia Scott and Katie Hammond. The girls were having fun adjusting Emily's hospital bed, watching movies, and talking. There was a lot of laughter and fun going on in the room and Emily was TOTALLY distracted from all the crap she's having to deal with.

Later in the afternoon Emily had a special visit from her Teacher Mrs. Smith, along with her school Principal and one of her favorite substitute teachers. It meant so much to Emily to know that everyone at Country Lane is thinking of her.

This evening my Mom watched Emily here in the hospital while Tracy and I went out to dinner alone for the first time in 6 days. It was nice to do something "normal" as a couple, and to know both our girls were in good hands.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Emily!
This is Brandy! Sending you hugs, kisses, and fairy princesses! I am thinking of you and wishing you all of my best wishes!!

Love,
Brandy

James said...

Hi Emily,
My name is James and I work with your Mommy at Stanford. I'm sending you all my best wishes, thoughts, and prayers for you to get well. You have so many people who love you, especially your parents. =) Take very good care Emily.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

That is good news! What a cute photo of the girls. It's great that she is getting special visits from her teachers too. Hang in there, Emily!

love and hugs,
Jane Matsumoto

Emma said...

What a big beautiful smile you have!

Anonymous said...

What a fighter little Emily is. I remember her as the first walker in our playgroup long ago. She has always been a spunky kid with lots of fight in her. It's amazing how quickly life can turn around. I'm so glad that Stanford hospital is right there for you and that Tracy knows the ropes so well there. We will be keeping your family in our prayers and will check in regularly to see how she is doing.

Dana (Kaden's mom from State College, PA)

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Pleased to see that Emily’s condition is improving. I’m also glad that Tracy and you are starting to take a break. You have entered the next phase of this journey. Both of you need to stay strong, live healthy, and keep on high spirit. Emily needs both of you in order to fight this battle. Remember that her smile reflects your feeling of the day. From time to time, continue to take a break, i.e. having a dinner at restaurant, walking in the park, watching a movie, etc. Emily wants to see smiling faces on you, too.

Gordon

Anonymous said...

Hi, I woke up this morning, checked Emily Blog and first thing I saw was the smiling faces of three little girls. That is a good morning wake up for me. Thanks, I love the photos and the updates. And I love you all a whole lot. carol

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you having fun with your friends around you, Emily! There is so much love surrounding you right now. That's just the way it should be! We all love you and hope you get lots of visitors to brighten your days in the hospital!
xoxo
Ann (and puppy Rosebud, who hopes you get lots more visits from the nice therapy dogs! :-))

Unknown said...

Hi Emily!

We have never met, but I went to high school with your mommy. I am a mommy too, my little boy Jaden is a little younger than you. He will start kindergarten this fall.

Anyway I have had lymphoma for the past 8 years and I know it can be hard to take all those medicines you have to take. You are an awesome trooper and I'm proud of you! I lost my hair the first time I had chemo and I understand being upset about that. I know you will find lots of cute, warm hats to wear. I hope to come meet you someday.

Hi Tracy! It's been a long time. You and Chris are doing great, one day at a time and I'm so happy you guys put a blog up. I know my way around Stanford pretty well at this point in my own cancer journey, so when things settle down a bit, I'd love to come over for a little visit.

I will continue to send healing energy to Emily. And strength to you. It's weird to be a cancer patient and a parent, on the one hand I know exactly how it feels and yet, I cannot even imagine what you are going through.

Jessica (Valli) Nichols

Anonymous said...

Sweet Emily,
It's so good to see you smile! We're all so proud of you. We are all praying for you. One day, one moment at a time, you will get through this. We all love you so much! Hang in there sweet girl.
Lots of Love, Auntie Diana ~^..^~

Anonymous said...

Emily,
It was great to see you on Friday. My girls, Nora and Tara (you might remember them from our Zoo trip in Sept), wish you the best as you heal. Nora loves making cards, so you can expect many more.
Big hugs to you from all of us!
Kim, David, Nora and Tara Witkowski