Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Long Day

First a quick update on Haley. Her ear infection is healing fine, she seems great. Nothing to worry about.

Today was a very long day. We were at Packard for a good 8 hours. It was the first time we've run into a scheduling snafu since we started Chemo. I can understand how it happens. We have to go to the Oncology Clinic, and Stem Cell and Oncology Therapy Lab, and then to the Day Hospital. You would think all three stops would use the same schedule, but you would be wrong. Each does their own schedule and there is no real coordination. So we were not scheduled for labs, but in order for Emily to get Chemo, they need to check her labs. To make a very long story a little shorter, we were supposed to start IV Chemo at 10:30am but it didn't really start until 2:30. A lot of waiting around, and for a little while we were worried we would have to go back on Thursday and our whole Chemo schedule would have changed and been effected. We were lucky that they got a cancellation in the day hospital and worked Emily in. I lost my temper at the Doctor about this, which I regret, but I didn't want a schedule mistake to impact Emily's care.

Besides the scheduling Snafu's things went well. Emily's liver panels are increased, which isn't good, but are not high enough to lower the dose of Chemo. They expect her liver to be working really hard during this phase, so high liver panels on Chemo are expected. Emily had a full exam, and from everything we can tell she is on track. The Dr.'s are great about asking and answering all our questions. On April 10th Emily is going to be getting a Medi-Port, which is a fairly permanent central line. It's a surgical procedure but a fairly standard one. After the port is put in, she will be able to take a bath without any concerns, and swim when it gets warm enough to want to swim. We also wont have to flush the lines daily. (I am so thankful that Tracy flushes PICC lines all the time in her job as a nurse, I would be so scared and to her it is second nature and I know it's being done correctly.) Friday will mark %50 of the way through Induction Phase of Chemo. After that they taper her off the medications, and then do a CAT scan to see what's happened to the tumors. They expect them to be gone after 5 weeks. The trick with Lymphoma is keeping them from coming back. They can tell just from her breathing that the airway to her left lung is much clearer, which probably means the mass is shrinking. She is also not showing signs of distress like what brought us into Urgent care in the first place, that is also a sign that the tumors are probably shrinking.

Emily is on a very high dose of Prednisone, which is a steroid. It makes her appetite increase, and I mean really increase. She asks for food almost all day long. She has lost her sweet tooth, and has an obsession with Taco Bell Nachos. We don't really want her eating a lot of fast food, cancer or no cancer, so we say no when she asks. The obsession is so bad she starts to cry and pulls a complete fit when we say no. For example last night she wouldn't look or talk to me because I said no. (And Emily's normal behavior is not at all like this) I am going to let her indulge tomorrow, in the afternoon I am going to take her to Taco Bell for some nachos.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Taco Bell nachos....gotta love em.
Wish we were there with you guys! You all are in our thoughts daily.
Marcy Leary

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Waiting is so hard as it is and even more so given the circumstances. You would think there would be some sort of coordination or communication between the clinics and labs. Glad to hear Emily didn't have to be rescheduled for the next day!
One day at a time, right?
Sending happy thoughts for a good day tomorrow.
Hugs,
Jane

Emma said...

Sorry to hear that you had a frustrating day, as if you didn't have enough to deal with. We are happy to hear that her lung is much clearer, that is definitely great progress....Taco Bell...reminds me of college :)!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. That is a long day. Chris, you only lost your temper once...I would have been flipping out on everyone I came in contact with! So, you get a pat on the back from me for self-control.

I am glad Haley is feeling better (I hate ear infections!). It's such good news that Emily's tumors are likely shrinking fast.

I understand how she feels about the nachos...mmmmm melted faux cheese :D
Maybe you can sneak some pureed carrots in there just so they have some nutritional value? Nah...she'd be on to you, and really, they are perfect as is!

Hugs and still praying every day!
Kim

Jessica Nichols said...

Chris, Prednisone is a hard drug to tolerate and it definitely affects mood and behavior. Every single person I know who has had to take it, experienced difficulties with it. So when I read the story about the nachos, it's the first thing I thought of. One time I yelled at someone for not making me homemade lasagna like my Sicilian grandma -- definitely not characteristic behavior for me. If the nachos continue to be an issue, see if she's open to a homemade version. Gosh that's a tough spot because Prednisone makes you ravenous and chemo makes you nauseous and if that sounds good to her, it's easy to want to give in. So you are in a bind! I feel for you very much and admire your parenting under duress. Remember, one day at a time...

Anonymous said...

I can also testify to Emily's nacho obsession. About 30 minutes after Chris informed Emily she couldn't have nachos Tuesday night, I went into her room to say goodbye. She told me how much she hated the idea of going for chemo the next day. Then she explained that she was going to get a lot sicker before she got better, but she needed to keep getting chemo and all the shots and medicines so she could fight off the bad T-cells. I told her the bad T-cells really HATE it when she thinks happy thoughts, so I suggested she think of the happiest place she could be right now. She immediately said "eating nachos at Taco Bell!" The lure of nachos is never far away no matter what's going on.
Love, Grannie Carol