Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Latest updates

We weren't certain what last week's delay would have on the over all schedule. Today they let us know that there are going to add a week of rest time between phases. Rather than starting phase 4 on August 13th, they moved it back to August 19th. It will be kicked off with Emily being put under for another LP, and she will also start the Dexamethasone that day. In phase 4 Dexamethsone replaces the Prednisone that was used in Phase 1. The first day of school is August 20th, so it's highly likely she will be able to attend.

This afternoon Emily had an Echogram test on her heart. There is a drug in phase 4 that is tough on the heart, so they do an Ecco before the phase as a baseline, and then will do one after, to observe the effects on the heart. The results of the echo were normal, as we expected. It was nice they were able to get that test done while we are there in the hospital sitting around, why not get as much done as possible.

Today will be Emily's last dose of 6MP until maintenance, another milestone.

Emily is feeling much better today. She refuses to eat while she's in the hospital and that has some effects on her mood, but I know it's just part of what we have to go through, and looking forward to busting her out this Saturday. I am taking the day off tomorrow, she and I are finally going to make that video we promised at the beginning of the phase and will post it on the blog when it's done.

I was thinking that it has been a long time since I thanked everyone who continues to read this blog, but also to everyone who has been supporting us through this ordeal if they read the blog or not. Tracy and I don't know how we could have faced all of this without all the help and support. Thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a hard road getting through Phase 3 and all the hospitalizations, but Emily continues to show us all how it's done. She is incredible. Take care.
Love, Grannie

Jessica Nichols said...

Is Em going to receive Adriamycin? I had an Echo before and after getting that chemo. agent. All during chemo I took CoEnzyme Q10 daily with my onc.'s permission. And my post-Adria echo was identical to my pre-Adria echo and I truly believe the CoQ10 did the trick.

Does Em hate the hospital food or just hates eating anything in the hospital? That is really tough. I can surely understand how she feels as I am very similar. Before I ramble on anymore, I'll put the rest in an email. Sorry folks!