Friday, June 20, 2008

Updates from Packard

Emily ended her infusion of Methotrexate around 9:30pm last night. Right after they drew labs from her port. By the way she slept through all of this. Then she was given hydration in her port with a pump to really get a lot of fluid in her. It's a saline, with bicarb and dextrose to be specific. Later in the night her labs came back and looked good. In this therapy they are checking levels of Methotrexate in her blood, and her Creatinine level for her kidney function. Her Methotrexate level was 112, which I was told is a pretty good baseline. She will need to drop to below 1, so she has a way to go. To put some context to that level, if she had a level over 150, they would have given her even more hydration because it's higher than they like. But she started with 112 and our nurse last night, Kacie, said that she would bet that Emily will be released after her labs Saturday night, so hopefully Emily and I will be heading home around 11pm Saturday, but we will see. Her Creatinine level going in was .3 and after all the Methotrexate was .3, so this treatment had little mal effect on her kidneys, which is also very good. Her stomach is a little upset, and she has zero appetite, all she has eaten in the last 30 hours is a very small amount of popcorn and a bite or two here and there of a few snacks. This is to be expected getting high dose chemo. The other big side effect they are looking for are mouth sores, or really sores anywhere in the GI tract, but they typically present in the mouth first. I was told they are a sign of infection, so I hope we don't see that complication, that would probably mean a longer stay. So far she doesn't have any. This afternoon she is going to get a vitamin called Leukovorin which will also help clear the Methotrexate.

I stayed with her last night, and I concur with Tracy, the chair stinks for sleeping. Next time odds are we will have a private room with a bed for the parent, but this time, man I can't stop complaining can I? I didn't sleep at all really. Around 3am I got the bright idea to go on a stroll outside. When I got back I found out they lock the ward at night, so I had to go find security and they had to call the nurse desk and I had to be let back in. A big ordeal for a short walk. Emily and I shared her bed from about 4am - 6am and I dozed. The only nice part was just being close to Emily. She woke up and said, "Daddy, I'm glad we're buddies." That made the sleepless night worth it. She also told me she was bored, so I hope we can get her out of there quick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news! It sounds like Emily is responding well to this round of treatment. It's also nice to know they keep everyone very secure, though it may be a little difficult to get back into the ward. I hope you get some sleep this weekend. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

-Angie

Unknown said...

The "I'm glad we're buddies" comment is another gem of an "Emily-ism" we all love so much. She's always been a special kid that way. :-)

-Auntie Leah

Emma said...

What a real trooper. We are glad that things are going well and hope you are out of the hospital very soon. Thinking about you guys!

Anonymous said...

Chris,
This is great news about Emily and I wish you a quick release from the hospital...what a memory for you to treasure - Emily saying she is glad you are buddies.....what a wonderful relationship to have with your dad...I fondly remember many many years ago the my mom was my mom, but my dad - he was my "buddy"......thinking of you and your family and praying for continued good news for Emily.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Oh, I hope Emily gets to go home tomorrow! Nothing like being in your own home, even in this heat! lol! Sounds like things are going very well for Emily and her treatment. :) Hang in there!

We really tried hard to make our way over to Emily for a visit today. We went shopping for a little something for Emily and while at Target, I noticed that Ken had a strange cough that wouldn't quit. I'm thinking... hoping... that it's his allergies acting up and nothing worse. But just to be on the safe side, I decided at the last minute that it would be for the best if I kept Ken away. Ken was of course, very upset that he "ruined" the trip to go see Emily. He has been wanting to see her and get to know her better. I told him we have plenty of time for that. So, Emily... when you are up for it, there are two little boys down the street from you who are just dying to have a playdate with you and Haley. Let's meet up at the park or the playground sometime, okay?

As always, sending you lots of love and hugs, Jane.