Saturday, June 21, 2008

Are we getting out tonight?

First a quick correction to something I wrote yesterday. Emily's level of Methotrexate doesn't need to be at 1 to be released, it needs to be at .10 or lower to go home. To remind you her baseline was 112 when they first checked after giving her the Methotrexate. At 3:30 yesterday afternoon it had dropped all the way down to .97. Then last night at 9:30 they took her labs again and she was at .56. We asked and they are going to check again tonight at 7pm instead of 9:30 and we hope to be below .10, and if we are we can leave, if not, it's another night in the hospital. To go from 112 all the way down to .97 was a really good start we were told, most kids drop to a level between 1 and 10 on the hour 40 blood draw of the treatment and Emily was below the low average, that's why the Dr. will try a little early today, everyone wants us to be able to go home. I can't believe we have to do this all over again a week from Wednesday.

Yesterday evening we had Haley at our friends the Scott's, and my Mom came down to the hospital and sat with Emily. Tracy and I went out to dinner without a child, which was nice to do! We had sushi which we really enjoy but don't get to eat often. We hardly ever eat out anymore, and with two kids, sushi just doesn't happen too often. It was delicious. During dinner I told Tracy that while I was optimistic and happy about the way Emily's treatment has been going, I still couldn't believe this was all happening to us. She told me that she had that same thought earlier in the day. I think being back in the hospital really makes it hit home again. We know we are fortunate so far, I mean we really know, we see cancer patients at least 3 times a week, but we still can't believe this is happening to Emily. We also talked about how it's going better than a lot of people would imagine or think including us. I remember when we were first diagnosed how absolutely devastated I was. I must have looked so sad when I was pushing her in her wheel chair or even when I was walking around. These days I usually have a big smile on my face as I am pushing Emily's IV pole as we go on walks. I can see the fear and sadness in people's eyes as they attempt not to have eye contact with me in the halls. I am sorry they have pity for me, I have a wonderful daughter who I just love spending time with and especially talking to. I have a much different perspective of what Cancer is now, and what it isn't. I also can't believe how strong Emily is and how much she is determined to beat this, she's stronger than even she knows.

I will post a second update tonight with results from her lab draw at 7pm which will determine if we get to go home tonight. It will take 2 hours to get the results so around 9ish I should know.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Wow Chris, all of you continue to amaze us so much. You can really tell how much love there is in your family by all of your courage and strength. It is truly reflected in your two beautiful daughters. We send good wishes your way and hope you can go home tonight. Lots and love and hugs from the Buffs on the East Coast!