Thursday, July 3, 2008

Stories from 1 North

Our current hospitalization is going well. Emily started her Methotrexate last night and so far she is not having any side effects. I arrived this morning to trade places with Tracy at the hospital. Since Haley has the flu we can't bring her in the hospital, and Tracy and I have to try to stay healthy ourselves so we can be there with Emily. When I arrived I decided to introduce myself to our room mate and her family. I was glad I did because I got to hear a story that made my day. She was a 22 month old little girl who was diagnosed with a tumor in January. She was from East Palo Alto, a lower income area nearby the hospital. She was there for her final Chemo treatment ! Her tumor had gone away and with her type of cancer, she has to do 6 months of Chemo and radation with her type, and this was the final day. She's too young to know what's going on with cancer, but her Mom was so happy. Her type has a low relapse level so they are very hopeful this little girl will live a normal life.

Emily had a stream of friends visit today, which is great because it helps pass the time and she has so much fun. In between friend visits Emily and I went on a walk. While we were leaving the ward the parents of a child came up to Emily and said they recognized her from when she was there a week and a half ago. They have been in the hospital since the first week of June, their 16 year old daughter has Leukemia with complications. The Mom told Emily that seeing Emily so full of energy and with a smile on her face really gives her hope for her daughter. I spoke with the parents for a while and learned a little about their story. It felt good to tell them with confidence that "things will get better, I know it's really hard in the beginning, hang in there." I couldn't believe that I was saying that, and meaning it. 6 weeks ago I didn't want to get to know any of the other parents or kids, I didn't want to connect to the "cancer family" but it scares me much less these days.

Emily will end her Methotrexate sometime tonight, and will start to clear it from her system. Let's hope it is quick. I will have an update tomorrow on how it is looking.

Since many of you will be far too busy to read my blog tomorrow, please HAVE A HAPPY 4TH of JULY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad Emily is doing so well and every thing is going smoothly. It must be easier this time since you "know the drill" so to speak. Hope Haley recovers soon. We will be thinking of you on the 4th at the family reunion. Wish you were here, but glad the kids got to swim last week.
Love, Aunt Ann & Uncle Chris

Emma said...

We are so glad to hear that Emily is doing well. Sorry to hear about Haley having the flu, we wish her a speedy recovery. We hope your hospital stay is short and that even though you will be in the hospital tomorrow that you all have a wonderful July 4th. We enjoyed the recent pictures of the girls.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pepper Family....
I wish you a happy 4th of July. I hope that Haley is feeling better and I hope that all is going well with Emily's treatment....You are all very inspiring to everyone. Take care and I will look forward to seeing Emily back at school this fall.

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Just stopping in to wish everyone a Happy 4th. Didn't realize that what we have is the flu, but it sounds like the same thing Haley is going through. I hit 104.5 yesterday. Hope Emily's treatment goes smoothly and is quick. Take care!! ~ Jane

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
We missed you and your family so much at the 4th of July Party at your Aunt Ann's yesterday. Everyone asked about you and wished you the best. Auntie Leah & Uncle Patrick are now on their way to see you at the hospital after visiting with us. Take care of yourself, sweetie.
Love you lots,
Grannie & Grampa