Monday, November 2, 2009

Long unscheduled day at the clinic

Emily has been having issues with constipation for a long time. I don't write about it much because I don't want to embarrass her. Today things got a little worse so we had to go into the clinic. Tracy gave Emily her morning Em all of a sudden didn't feel well and both threw up and had diarrhea, really watery suggesting there was something obstructing her GI tract. Since we've been going through GI issues they wanted to see her. After an exam and a lot of questions they decided to give her an x-ray and see if she was truly blocked. It turns out she is blocked in two spots in her intestine and the N.P. was surprised she wasn't complaining of more discomfort. We are treating her with magnesium citrate tonight. It's really important that she is un-clogged before IV chemo on Wednesday, or they may not give it to her. The Vinchristine, her IV medication, is known to cause really bad constipation and is the original cause of this complication. All the exposure to her vinchristine is catching up to her side effect wise. Luckily it's fairly easy to treat.

On the upside she was able to get a dose of swine flu vaccine. The clinic had just got 200 doses today. They didn't actually tell us, I just asked if they had some, and the N.p. seeing us today ordered us a dose. She needs to get a second one 4 weeks from now. Hopefully by then it will be a little easier to get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about Emily's complications....I have to say that I was thrilled to see her at the walk-a-thon on the 24th though and as I expected - she still gives the best hugs ever....I hope that the medication she is taking will help her with her problems and you will be able to continue on with her chemo....I will be looking forward to Girl Scout Cookie time again and save my orders for Emily.....just let me know if she decides not to sell this year. I hope you had a wonderful Halloween weekend Pepper Family.

Love,
Mrs. Breit