Friday, November 20, 2009

Another trip to the ER

Today Emily spiked a fever of 101.6. We were surprised since it seemed like the other night she had beaten the current virus. Since she was Neutropenic on Wednesday with an ANC of 630, we had to take her to the ER right away. They were ready for her when she arrived, they did urine cultures, started an IV and drew blood. Her urine was really cloudy so we were worried it could be an infection. They also swabbed her for H1N1, but since she just had it, they were swabbing to prove it was gone, they don't think she has it again. In the hospital her fever was 101.2. I've noticed our thermometer is always a little higher than the reads at the hosptial, I think %100 of the times we've gone, maybe it's time for a more accurate one? Anyway it was still high enough to justify being in the ER, anything above 100.3 for Emily is a serious fever.

It took a while to get results, but the results were good. Her ANC has bounced back to 1800. Also her urine was clean. The Dr. told us she was surprised about the urine too, she was also worried when we gave her the sample....though she didn't tell us that at the time. So, Emily was given discharge papers and will be home in time for dinner.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. This time I wasnt worried about Emily, I knew she was going to be OK, I was just mad that my Friday afternoon was gone. I feel like I am getting too used to this.

No comments: