Monday, April 6, 2009

Trip to the ER, with a good outcome

Today Emily woke up with what she reported as a bad sore throat. We didn't think much of it since she has had a cold for a while. This afternoon she told us that it had got worse over the day. I asked her on a scale of 1 to 10, how much her throat hurt, she rated it an 8. So, I took her temperature and sure enough she had spiked a fever of 101. To add to this, Emily had been exposed to someone with Strep throat. Given all these signs we made arrangements to have Emily seen in the E.R.

When we arrived at Standford E.R., her fever was even a little higher. They took her right away and did a Strep test and took a CBC and blood culture, and urine sample.

The great news is the strep test came back negative. Her ANC was also over 2000, so she wasn't neutropenic. What she most likely has is a virus with a bad sore throat and fever. We will have to wait a couple days for the more complete strep test to come back with the blood cultures, but it is almost certain that it's just a virus. So certain that the Pediatric Oncology fellow on call, who knows Emily's case told us to continue with the chemo and to give Emily some Tylenol with codine and go to bed. We got home around 10:30 this evening and she went right to bed.

During this whole hospital visit Tracy was working upstairs on C2 and didn't get a chance to come down and visit, but Emily and I stopped back quickly on our way out. Both Tracy and I are extremely relieved that it's not an infection and are both happy we had it checked for peace of mind.

5 comments:

Emma said...

so glad to hear it isn't strep,hope she is feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
I hope your throat is feeling better and your fever is down today. I am so glad to hear the tests for strep at the ER were negative. You managed to breeze through with flying colors again. We are so proud of you, sweetie.
Love you,
Grannie

Anonymous said...

Emily,
It is great news that your dad was able to bring you back home from the hospital last night. I hope you are feeling better and that you will be ready to have a Happy Easter wth your family. I am sure there will be lots of Easter treats and Easter Eggs for you. Have a good week off from school.
Love,
Mrs. Breit

Lauren Rodriguez said...

Aloha you guys! It's Lauren. I just read the latest entry in Emily's blog. I'm so glad it wasn't anything too serious. I'm def praying for her and I hope hse feels better soon. How does she like the songs I sent her?
I hope to hear from you guys soon, but take your time
God loves you
Aloha for now
Your friend, Lauren

Anonymous said...

Emily:

Glad to hear that you are doing better and that you do not have strep throat.

I will continue to give you excused absences on the attendance.

Hope to see you back at school real soon.

Love,

Elaine Steffens