Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The amazing Emily beats the odds again

Emily was discharged from the hospital early this afternoon ! She is feeling, looking, and sounding much better than she has in a while. Her pulse has normalized, her fever is gone, and her cough is much better. The cough is still there but it's so much better than it was leading up to the pneumonia diagnosis. Emily is going to be on antibiotics for 10 more days (I think) and will restart chemo tonight at %100 dosage. Today her anc was down to 2000 from 7000 yesterday so her white blood cell count is back in the range we like to see on therapy. The orders are for her to take it easy until next Monday and then she can likely go back to school. Given this swine flu scare/epidemic we are going to watch her exposure to sick people the best we can. Swine flu gives symptoms like viral pneumonia and having that on top of bacterial pneumonia wouldn't be good, to say the least. She ate dinner last night, really the first food she had had since Sunday, so that's a great sign too.

Tracy and I are so grateful for all the support you all have given us these past few days. We were really scared when this first happened and she ended up being hospitalized, every time we go through something new, the stress level is extra high and knowing people are thinking of us really helps.

I am working today so that part is back to normal. Both Tracy and I are really sad we are missing our trip to New Orleans, we would be in the air right now, but we know we made the right call staying home.

I am sure Haley will be happy we are all home too, she's been all over with different people watching her the past few days and while she can't express how hard it is on her, we know it is, and having big sister home will make her extra happy.

I will keep you all updated more regularly over the next few days as this pneumonia chapter resolves itself and we are back to our boring every day lives.

thanks again

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH FOR EMILY!!! THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME:)
SHE IS ONE AWESOME LITTLE GIRL.
LOVE,
MELINDA AND RAY

Anonymous said...

God bless Emily and her whole family. Can't wait to see you tomorrow.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You have just made my day....I am so happy that she is home - it's the best place to be and you and Tracey are the best parents. I know that you will get the chance to get away sometime in the future. You certainly deserve it. I think it is probably for the best though for you to be home and on top of things with Emily until this "swine flu" thing settles down. Please tell Emily I send hugs and will still plan to stop by and see her once she is able to return to school....

Mrs. Breit

Lauren said...

Aloha you guys! I'm so glad Emily is back home! YAY! I was praying for her and I asked my friends and a few members of my family to pray as well.

Like I said in my last comment, I know what the unexpected can be like as far as medical conditions go. I can't tell you how many times we thought my vision was fine-only for me to end up in the hospital for another retina surgery. So I can relate to Em a little on that part of it. I hope she has a great week and recovers fully soon! I also hope she enjoys the songs I sent her!
Speaking of them, here is the link again in case you weren't able to access it before. I hope Emily likes them!
Keep in touch and tell Emily I said hi and I'm glad she's feeling better!
Aloha for now
Your friend, Lauren



http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsm2xwDisney Songs for Emily:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsm2xw

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised to see all that has transpired in the last 3 days, but I am so glad to see that things have progressed to a more positive state. I loved that picture of Emily...Here she is feeling crummy and you are taking great pictures of her with a full mop of hair and rosy cheeks! In retrospect, those odd numbers from last Wednesday were probably the first indication that there was a vigorous infection brewing. She is such a brave and determined fighter.

I am very sorry you are missing that New Orleans trip, but I know that this is where you want and need to be to feel comfortable now. I am always so impressed by the way you guys respond to every crisis. By the time you have an opportunity to crash, the problem is behind you and you are inspired to new levels of energy and optimism. When Emily is grown and a parent, you can tell her about the scary times and how it all worked out.
Thinking of you...Celia

Unknown said...

Yay Emily! I'm so glad that you're feeling better and back at home. Hope you got the bag of cards and school things. See you Monday! -Mrs. Maino

Jessica Nichols said...

I live for boring, everyday lives.
Bring it on.

Jess

Anonymous said...

Emily,
You have made my day with this great news! I am SO happy that you are feeling better and back with your family. I'm sure Haley is excited to have her super star big sister back home. I'm looking forward to seeing your at school! Can't wait!
Lots of love,
Mrs. Smith

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Thanks be to God! What good news!
May God continue to bless you all!
Love and prayers,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty