Wednesday, April 22, 2009

strange / troubling results from Emily's labs

Today Emily had her IV Chemo at the hospital. She also had her physical exam, which was pretty normal. Emily may have pink eye so they prescribed her some eye drops to knock it out. She also has a persistent cough, but it seems to be all in her upper respiratory tract. She still has some fluid in her ears too but the infection seems to have gone away. After her physical exam she got her IV chemo and blood draw. It went really well. So the hospital part went well.

The troubling results are the lab results. Emily's white blood cell count was really high, at 9.3 and as a result her ANC is 9000 which is through the roof. Why that is, is unknown and troubling to me. Her NP said it could be because of the eye or the cough. Prednisone also raises white blood cell count and ANC levels too, and she's on her Prednisone this week. It's a bad sign if ANC is really high, so I am worried that something else is going on. It's scary when something new happens, sometimes it means nothing and sometimes it is a real concern, I just don't know which this one is. This is only me worrying and nothing the doctors said this week, I just know what the levels should be and know this is way out of range. We won't really know until labs next week, so I will be concerned all week and just hope that next week the levels come down to a more normal level, which is around 2000. They also increased her 6mp dose to help suppress her levels. I hope I am worrying for nothing but wish I didn't need to at all.

This week we don't have much going on, just resting after last weeks vacation. Next week Emily will have her labs on Tuesday and Tracy and I plan to go on a vacation to New Orleans on Wednesday and the kids will be staying here with their Grandparents. I hope her levels return to normal so we dont have to worry while we are gone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a few things all at once are conspiring to make those levels look scary. It certainly appears that she is fighting an upper respiratory infection and I will be thinking of her and concentrating on it just being the typical short-term infection that kids get...especially kids who have been in contact with lots of people in several locations. Just about every adult I know had "the cough that lasted for weeks" recently. I know none of that stops you from worrying, but I hope Tuesday comes quickly and you get new, great labs so you can breathe a sigh of relief before you are off to New Orleans.
Celia

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you guys. I wish that you didn't have this to worry about. I was so happy to hear about your adventures down south. I enjoyed talking with Emily about it. It is amazing to see the difference a year makes as you said. Your family has been on such a roller coaster ride. I admire your strength and courage. I will keep you in my prayers and look forward to hearing good news on Tuesday.
Love,
Lori

Anonymous said...

We're keeping Emily in our thoughts and prayers this week and trying to keep a positive outlook on the reason for those high ANC levels. Keep us posted. See you soon.
Love, Grannie

Jessica Nichols said...

I'm sorry you're so worried.

Three things:

1. Let me offer you a Worry Day, something I used to do with some lymphoma pals when I went through chemo the first time. Today, I will worry about Em's counts all day long instead of you. I'm a seasoned pro worrier with almost 9 years of experience.

2. I thought a normal range for WBC was 5-10 or so (depending on the lab). Is this abnormal for this stage or abnormal overall?

3. Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength. So there's that to consider tomorrow.

Hugs.

Jess

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I am going to choose to think that this is nothing to worry about - you have just come back from such a wonderful exciting week and with Emily having the pink eye issue and the cough....I am going to go with the option that maybe this is just from being on the go so much last week. There are people all over the place thinking good thoughts for you and Emily and your family...Next week will look better...

Cathy Breit