Saturday, January 24, 2009

Surgery and IV Chemo this week

Emily is going to be having her IV Chemo on Wednesday this week, and then surgery to remove her implanted port on Thursday. Unfortunately they can't do them on the same day. We will let Emily use her port for this Chemo one last time before they take it out. To remind some of you, Emily had a port implanted under her skin in the middle of her chest. The port has a cath that goes directly into her Artium valve of her heart. This allowed her to get IV medication much easier, and much more directly into her system than any other method. So, why are we removing it when she still have 13 months of IV chemo to go? The answer is that while a port is a nice convienince they also have a blood clot risk, so the Oncologists have perform a risk assesment when deciding how long to keep a port in. When Emily was gettting IV medication multiple times a week, along with Blood tranfusions and other blood products, and having her labs drawn 2 and 3 times a week, it was an easy call to make. Her poor little veins would have been a scared up mess if we didn't use the port. As you will recall she also had a very large blood clot stopping all blood flow, about an inch from her heart. So knowing she clotted once, and they they do not need to be giving her as much IV treatment, Dr. Link really wants to take it out. The way he explained it to us was simple, "Chris and Tracy, imagine how guilty you would feel if there were a bad complication becasue we left the port in for convienince." So this Thursday they will be taking it out. It's a real surgical procedure where Emily will have to have a breathing tube inserted and will be put under for, deeper sleep than her LP's. They explained that it's very routine surgery, and the most complicated part will be "disecting her tissues away from the port line" which is hard to hear but makes sense. We will be very relieved once it's out, it's probably the biggest risk she has going on right now. Her recovery will be fairly quick, they anticipate sending her home the same day. she will have some pain for 3 to 4 days and they will control that with narcotics if she wants them. Emily doesn't like codine so I expect she's tough it out probably more than she has to, but we respect whatever decisons she makes along the lines of pain managment.

Emily, Tracy and Haley are up in Auburn today visiting Grannie Carol and Grandpa Steve. I got a text message from Tracy that they are up in the snow and sledding today. I bet they are having a blast and I will post some photos I am sure will be taken. Tomorrow Emily has a Girl Scout Gymnastic event to attend tomororw which she is also excited about. Her ability to stay active, and to be so brave around other kids is amazing. Remember EVERYWHERE Emily goes kids stare at her, and she's fully aware. For the most part I do not fault the kids who stare at her, I understand why they do, you don't see Cancer patients very much, much less ones who are leading an active, aparently very happy life, I just hope they learn and don't joke about her, but that's there problem if they do. The amazing part if Emily doesn't really care what anyone thinks, she just wants to get the most out of what she's doing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily certainly seems to have a confidence and maturity way beyond her years. She is such a little trooper! I will keep her in my thoughts and I hope the procedure on Thursday goes more smoothly and more quickly than the doctors even expect. Getting the port out is one step closer to being back to as normal a life as possible.
Celia

Anonymous said...

I will be keeping Emily in my thoughts and prayers as always. I saw several of the Country Lane teachers on Friday at an inservice and had a chance to talk with Mrs. Maino. She was telling me how well Emily is doing at school - she is her old happy self. I am so grateful that she is able to be active and do all of the things her peers do. I hear that her hair is looking very cute and hope to see her soon. The problem is that I just don't seem to be able to shake this cold, so I will stay away for the time being. Hopefully it will be gone by the time Emily is delivering cookies. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend. Sounds like Emily has a busy Sunday.

Love,
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

P.S. Emily's "pixie" haircut is a big hit and no one seemed to be staring at all yesterday. She just looked like a beautiful girl with a darling short hairdo having a great time in the snow.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I saw Mrs. Smith today after school and she was raving about your hair and how cute it is....I can hardly wait to see it, but unfortunately still have a bad cold....as soon as I am better I hope to come by Country Lane...
Love
Mrs. Breit

Unknown said...

I am inspired by this latest post and the responses! I love the story about Michele and Emily...:-) My thoughts will be with Emily this week as she goes through her chemo & port removal.

Leah