Thursday, January 29, 2009

No More Port

Emily's port removal was a smashing success today. Once the procedure started it was a quick operation and they had no complications.

We were home this morning and left for the hospital at 10:30, we had to meet my Mom at 280 and Sandhill to drop off Haley. We then went over to Packard Hospital. This time we got to experience the new Ford Center for Pediatric Surgery ! The whole process has changed and it's much, much better. They have their own admitting station, so we got to bypass the main admitting, which saves a lot of time. Before the Ford Center you had to register at the front, and then go re-register in the PACU, and then you got sent to a very crowded waiting room. Now the whole process is streamlined and they have 7 prep rooms instead of 3. Emily just had her labs yesterday so we didn't need to do that part of Pre-op. Her pre-op nurse took her vitals, asked us recent medical history, then the Anesthesiologist NP came in and asked questions about sedation and our/Emily's preferences, as well as medical history. We've done this so many times it's like habit at this point. I also noticed how non-stressed I was, I mean I was still nervous about what was going on, but deep down I really did know everything was going to be OK. Just before our scheduled time, we were told that a Pediatric ICU case was going to go before us, and we had to wait an extra 2 hours. They gave us a gift voucher for the gift shop, handed us a pager, and we were able to roam the hospital. Luckily it was 2pm and that is the time the play room opens on the 3rd floor. We spent the waiting time playing Mad Libs together, it was really fun. Just as Emily was about to start an art project, we were called back to the Ford Center to get the operation under way. For most of Emily's procedures so far we have been able to go into the Operating Room with her, but since this was a little more involved than a procedure, we had to say our good byes before she was put under. We don't care at all if Emily cries, but she doesn't like to, she tries to be really brave, we could see her eyes were tearing up, but she said "I am excited to be getting this out." We kissed her, and then we were left with an hour to kill. One of the COOLEST new things in the Ford Center is you are given a number, ours was 426. In the waiting room they provide up to the minute status of your child, tracked by the number. So we could look up and see "426 Surgery started". One of the hardest things with anyone in surgery is wondering what is going on, and we had more visibility than ever before into what was going on in the operating room. We actually went for a walk over to the adult side of the hospital and back, they called us in because the surgery was done, and she was in the process of waking up. When Emily's eyes finally opened and she looked my way, I noticed that she didn't look directly at me, rather she looked at my backpack, and I knew why. I had her Chex Mix in my backpack, and I knew she was extra hungry. They made her drink some juice first, but they allowed her to eat almost right away. After about a half hour they disconnected her from her monitors and we headed home. It was a long day, but went pretty much perfectly. We are so proud of Emily and happy she doesn't have a port anymore, no one should have a port, but definitely a 7 year old.

I mentioned that Tracy and I went on a walk while Emily was in surgery. We walked all the way from Packard to Stanford, the hospitals are connected in fact if you aren't paying attention you don't notice when you go from one to the other. It's a very large building. Tracy wanted to poke around the gift shop and we got a snack. I am not sure why this happened today but I started to get this feeling of "I can't believe my kid has cancer." To me it seems odd, because we have been going through this now for 11 months, it's become our lives, but I think this demonstrates that you never get used to it, and that there are many levels of feelings, some I have dealt with and some obviously not. It's just so unfair, why does she have to go through this? How she does it with such a positive spirit is amazing. She doesn't feel sorry for herself, she just looks this disease straight in the eye and keeps reminding us "I'm not worried, there is a cure." Recently she told me "Now that I am in remission Daddy, I think you can stop worrying I am going to die." I am quite sure I have never said to her that I was worried that would happen, but she can tell, she can read me like a book. This kid can reassure me, comfort me when I am sad, and keep me smiling through some really tough times. I've said this before but I never thought I would learn so much about living, and what is important, from a 7 year old, but indeed that is what has happened. I really look up to her. I also know that it's a two way street and Emily feels so confident because she knows her parents love her more than anything.

Tracy and I want to thank everyone for the extra level of support this week, you all made a huge difference. When we are in those waiting rooms, my on my blackberry and Tracy on her I-phone all the emails, comments etc etc really help, we feel blessed to have such an amazing support system. I hope each of you know that I mean this more than I can really say.

If everything goes as planned that was the last time Emily will have surgery in her therapy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news.....I know that you are proud of Emily...she is amazing. You also need to be proud of how you, Tracey and even little Haley have dealt with this situation over the past year. You all are an inspiration to anyone who reads the blog. I am proud to offer whatever support I can. What a great day it's been for all of you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to hear that today went so smoothly and that the experience was the best it could be given the circumstances. I've said repeatedly that Emily is so lucky to have such wonderful parents and that is still very true, but you guys are so lucky to have a kid like Emily who is sensitive, smart, honest, and brave. She is a role model for how to deal with adversity and come out a winner....And I love her new hair.
Celia

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Lauren. I've been reading Em's blog for the past few months now and she is definitely an inspiration to me.

The reason is, I'm visually impaired and I've gone through countless surgeries because of it. While I don't know what it's like to have cancer, let alone having it at such a young age, I do know what it's like to be hospitalized multiple times throughout my life and have surgeries almost every other month. That’s how it was for me from the time I was born till I was sixteen years old.

I was born early and it caused my retinas to be destroyed. But I try to use my visual impairment to inspire others to not give up.

I believe Emily is doing the same with her situation. I also believe Emily is blessed to have parents like you and Tracy. I had a great Dad growing up, but my mother never cared for me. Let’s just say she chose other things over loving me. But even though she hurt me both emotionally and physically, the experience has made me a stronger person. It’s also taught me how not to treat children when God blesses me with my own.

Anyway, I know I was inspired the first time I sat down and started reading Emily’s blog. I think it takes a tremendous courage for you and Tracy to share Emily’s experience like this. You two are definitely inspirations yourselves as well.

I'm so glad Emily's surgery went well! I was praying for her and I asked a few of my friends to pray for her as well.

I will continue to pray for Emily and your family and i hope you and your Ohana, family, have a great weekend and things continue to go well for you.
Aloha for now, Lauren.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
I was so thankful to hear your good news that Emily had such a successful surgery. She has reached yet another milestone in this long process. We are all so very proud of her and can see what an inspiration she is to everyone around her. Take care.
Love, Grannie

Emma said...

What a beautiful, brave, and awe-inspiring little girl! So glad to hear everything went well !!!

Kim said...

I am so glad that port is out and it all went so well!

Big hugs to all of you!

Kim, David, Nora and Tara

Anonymous said...

Hi Peppers- What a week you have all had- wow. i am continually amazed at how you guys manage all that you do - and as a parent with all those emotions that go along with having a sick child. You are amazing!! And I love Emily's honest and straightforward approach to her illness. Glad to hear you are taking advantage of the sunny days ahead!!
-Love, Jessica Rose

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear that the surgery was a success! I have been sending prayers and thoughts your way. You are an amazing family who has inspired so many of us. I am so proud of Emily. Seeing her smile at school makes my day every time.
I hope you are enjoying the weekend!
Love,
Lori