Saturday, January 10, 2009

Girl Scout Cookies and Hair Comment

This week Emily started her girl scout cookie sale. For me, there is a big connection between girl scout cookies and Emily's cancer diagnosis. As you may recall on the very first post of this blog, Emily was out selling girl scout cookies the day she was diagnosed. Right now she is doing the pre-sale so it's not quite a year, but it means we are coming up on 1 year since our lives changed profoundly. Just before I started writing this post, I looked out our front window and I saw Emily at a neighbors (with Tracy), with her little girl scout vest on, selling cookies. It's absolutely amazing how much better she is compared to when she was so sick all summer. I didn't think she would bounce back like she has. Medicine has given us Emily for a year that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and wow that's heavy to think about.

On a lighter note, this morning Emily and I went to Pet Mart and bought two new cat fish for her tank. Her cat fish Leah died a few weeks back but today was time to replace her with two, smaller and friendlier cat fish. As we were getting help from the woman in the pet store the clerk asked Emily "Is that a Pixie haircut?" It made Emily's day that someone thought she had intentionally cut her hair to look like she does. Emily also told the clerk the truth about her hair too, but on the car ride home she said she wish she had not said anything. Our lives are returning to normal, at just about the same rate Emily's hair is growing back, funny how that works.

This coming week Emily will have labs on Wednesday. We expect and hope that she remains on her %75 dose as the protocol calls for, and then return to a %100 daily dose the following week. The biggest risk to that right now is Haley who some how caught another cold. Emily is so strong right now I really doubt this week the labs will be an issue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily's blog is a part of my daily reading. Several times a day I will check it to see if you have posted an update and just to keep informed as to how she is progressing. I would love to buy some girlscout cookies and since I am no longer at Country Lane where some of the girlscouts would come by the office to ask if we wanted to purchase cookies, I hope that I can purchase mine from Emily. Please have her or Tracey email me at cbreit@moreland.org - I can place my order and come by to pay Emily whenever she needs the payment. I am so thrilled that inspite of all of this she is able to continue being who she is and enjoy all of the things her peers are able to partake in. Once again the last pictue on the web is such a great picture of you and Emily. She looks beautiful. I'll be hoping to hear from Emily soon about the girlsout cookies.

Love,
Mrs. Breit

Roger said...

I expect to get hit up for an order so make sure you bring the order form into work - just make sure I bring my check book ;)

Emma said...

Yeah Emily!!! Good luck selling those cookies.

Anonymous said...

I didn't recall a comment about selling cookies so I went back to the initial posts to look for it. While I didn't find it, I did find a truly heart-warming narrative covering all the progress and love of the past year. A real bright spot for me is that Emily is almost half through with all the treatment! She has been through the hardest parts and she still has that indomitable spirit and wonderful smile. Happy New Year to you all. I think you have learned better than most what it really means to live in the moment and in that regard, your lives will be richer than most people's as well. All the best.
Celia

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
When Grampa was visiting last week, he placed our order for Girl Scout cookies with Emily. When he came home and told me, the first thing I thought was that it was one year ago on March 9th that Emily was selling Girl Scout cookies and had to be sent to emergency. That day is etched in my brain. I am so happy to know that a huge part of her treatment is successfully behind her and she has come out the other side with her strength and humor intact.
Love, Grannie