Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Em will get her port out

IV Chemo and labs went well today. All of Emily's levels looked good and her liver and kidney functions also looked good. She also had all of her clotting factor tests completed and she is cleared for surgery tomorrow . As I was typing the last sentence the Resident who will be assisting the Attending physician called and talked to me about the procedure. It's only going to take a half hour, and there is a very low risk for complications. Emily is nervous, Tracy and I are too, even though there is low risk, it's been a while since she has been put under, and it's not something that you get used to. I am hoping we get to use one of the new state of the art pediatric operating rooms that were just completed last month, they are absolutely amazing and all built with a grant from the Ford Family Foundation. I know we are in good hands. We have to show up at 11:30 and the procedure is schedule to start at 1. Emily and I made some Jello which she can have for breakfast.

Emily also had her physical exam today by Karolina, our NP, and Dr. Link. They both thought she looked great and is on track with her cure. They asked us if she was catching up in school and how she was doing socially. I like that they are concerned about all these aspects of her life. I am also always amazed at how many people in the hospital know Emily by name, it seems like every corner we turn someone says "Hey Emily, how are you? you look great" I like how they talk directly to her when they ask questions, they have so much respect for these kids. It's heart warming.

I will have a more in depth update tomorrow after surgery is complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that things went well for Emily today. I will be thinking about all of you tomorrow and promise to stop at 1:00 and take time to be thinking positive thoughts and send positive energy Emily's way. Of course everyone knows Emily - she is one amazing young lady. Keep the faith....everything will be fine.
God bless...
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Let us know as soon as you know about the surgery Thursday. I'm sure all will go well.
Love, Grannie