Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cal Academy of Science

Today we went to the California Academy of Science. http://www.calacademy.org/ They reopened in the new building I believe back in late September. It is really crowded still, we had to stand in line for 45 minutes to get in, and the place was at capacity. It was fun, but it was really too crowded to fully explore the place. Haley hadn't had a nap either, which wasn't working for us either. There is a lot we didn't get to see this time. I think it will be a good 6 months maybe another year before the crowds settle down. There is a contained rain forest exhibit that looked amazing. We mainly checked out the fish. Emily liked the Moon Jelly fish, the Sand Dollars, and spent a good amount of time at the interactive tide pool where she touched Star Fish, and Sea Anemone, and other creatures. They have an amazing tropical aquarium that is two stories high and I would guess 40 feet wide. Instead of parking in the Park, which was a nightmare, we drove up the N line of the Trolley and took the Trolley back to Golden Gate Park. Haley laughed out loud on our first ride, it was really funny and made us all laugh.

Yesterday Emily finished this month's course of Prednisone. She did really well on it this month, no big mood swings, and her food cravings were reasonable and relatively few. Today she seems to be coming down with another cold, I really hope she is able to increase her chemo back to a normal dose, but the blood test on Wednesday will determine what we need to do.

Besides this cold, Emily is doing really well. Her spirits are high, and she reports to be feeling great. She does have constant mild stomach pain/upset which seems to be a side effect of the chemo, but it's manageable and not something that she even talks about unless asked by her doctor. Her hair is coming back in very nicely and fast. At least once a day I say to her "Gosh, you have a lot of hair" which she loves.

On Wednesday she has her labs and we will find out from her NP about the dosage of her chemo, with the hopes to go up to %75 of normal. With her cold though, she could potentially go on a break again, we are prepared for whatever the protocol tells us to do. We are also going to ask to schedule her Port removal surgery, I am guessing sometime this month.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
It sounds like things are moving along well for you. What a fun outting Sunday must have been. I think your dad's idea to park away from Golden Gate Park was wonderful. Trolley rides are so much fun. Were you back in school today? I hope your cold clears up real soon. I have a bad cold myself right now and they are yucky. Take care my dear. I hope to see you sometime in the not to distant future - after I am free of my cold.
Love,
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
The California Academy of Science sounds like a fun place! I'll have to check it out someday with my niece and nephew. I'll be taking them to the Discovery Museum this weekend. I would love to see you sometime soon!
Love,
Mrs. Smith

Unknown said...

On the Cal Academy of Science website, they have three "PenguinCams" where you can see live video feeds of the penguins from the cameras they set up...right from your computer!
http://www.calacademy.org

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Cal Academy of Science is a great place. Hope Emily gets over her cold soon. I'm still fighting the one I got over the holidays. Miss you all very much.
Love, Grannie