Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Phase 4 ends

Tonight is Emily's last dose of 6TG which will end up phase 4, which consisted of re-induction and re-consolidation. After she takes her pill tonight there is no chemo planned at all until November 5th, which is the first appointment in Maintenance. That will give her 3 weeks of rest and time to regain her normal levels. This will definitely be the longest break she has had since March. I must admit I am a little nervous about that long of a break right now, but I know I need to learn to be comfortable with fewer treatments. There is a certain sense of security that the disease will not come back when she was going through all the intense therapy, and a certain feeling of worry that intense treatment is ending. These feelings are normal, today I talked to a friend of mine who's son is just ending maintenance and he and his wife have similar feelings to Tracy and I, it's just hard to transition.

Emily is having a hard time getting up and going to school. Once she is there she is having a good time and coming home happy she went. So after a very rough start she went to school around 9 and stayed all day. After school Ms. Ewers and Mrs. Smith dropped by for a visit and Emily was really excited about it when I came home. Tonight Emily is having her nails done by Tracy and then plans to do some home work before bed.

On Thursday Emily goes in for labs and a possible transfusion, but at this point I am starting to wonder if she will need a transfusion in this phase, which will really amaze the Dr.'s. Emily must be really strong because on many of the phases she has exceeded expectations. All except for the Methotrexate phase (3) which seemed to have been her nemesis.

All 4 of us need to get the flu shot ASAP. We have to get the shot, not the nasal inhalation version. I didn't know this but apparently the inhaled version of the flu vaccination is live virus and people in the medical profession and anyone living with someone who is immunosuppresed can't have the nasal inhaled version.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I am so proud of you and how things are going. I hope you had a good time with Mrs. Smith and Miss Ewers. When I saw her yesterday she mentioned that she would be coming by to see you. I plan to go and have lunch with her one day next week, so maybe I will run into you at Country Lane. I like my new job, but sure do miss all of the children. Have a good Wednesday at school tomorrow.
Love,
mrs. breit

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
Emily continues to amaze us all with her resilience and fortitude throughout the past 7 months. Tell her I love her and will see her soon.
Love, Grannie

Emma said...

Wow another major milestone passed! You are such an amazing girl Emily. We hope you all can enjoy your 3 week break and that it doesn't worry you too much that she is receiving less treatments. Thinking about you guys...Now it is time to plan for that 7th Birthday :)

Jessica Nichols said...

Isn't it amazing how you get through some parts of treatment longing for a break and then the break arrives and you feel fearful. I have so been there, done that. It is normal but it's still hard to deal with. It kind of surprises you the fear. A big part of surviving is managing fear. I have a feeling you guys will teach me a thing or ten about fear management. I haven't gotten the best handle it on yet.

Also thanks for the flu shot reminder. I didn't get mine last year and I got the flu. I know it wasn't the best vaccine but it was the first year I didn't get one in recent memory and the flu kicked my you know what. It was a disaster and included an ER visit. I will go get one on Friday hopefully at my onc.'s office so I don't have to drive to two doctors.