Monday, May 5, 2008

ANC in the 250's

The lab results from Saturday came back just after I posted. The main news from them is Emily's ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) is 258. That's very low and what we expected to happen in Phase 2 of Chemo. To put some perspective her ANC 2 weeks ago was 2600, then last week 1100, and then down to 258. Normal is anything above 1500 per micro-liter. ANC levels determine your bodies ability to fight infection. That's why the doctor warned us about the possibility of hospitalization. So far Emily has not come down with a fever. She is due to get labs tomorrow which will determine if we can give another dose of Chemo this Wednesday.

How is Emily doing? You wouldn't know by looking at her that she is Neotropenic and Anemic. She is acting a lot like the Emily Tracy and I remember. In fact I even caught myself saying, "Emiy, please don't climb in the couch, the family room is not a play ground." She also had a two hour play date this weekend and didn't want it to end. There are times where I am finding myself "forgetting" she has cancer, which is great. I know she's going to have her ups and downs, this has been a nice stretch of "up" which I wish could just last for the two remaining years. I'm really hoping it lasts through next weekend, which is Mother's Day. Emily and I have been preparing some fun and I hope she is well enough for us to execute our plan.

We have been asked what is Tracy doing about work? Originally she took a 3 month leave. We are already 2 months through that. We realize that she needs to be here pretty much all the time since we can't guess how Emily is going to be feeling, plus summer vacation is almost here and Emily will need someone with her daily. To that, we are trying to figure how to do it. We can make it, just not the lifestyle we are used to, not a big deal. Tracy is also going to look into working 2 days a month to keep her nursing skills up.

My next post will be after we get the lab results tomorrow, which will dictate the game plan for the next couple weeks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Wow those numbers are very interesting. I feel like I am learning so much from your blog. Thank you for taking the time to write it up. Glad to hear things are good right now - like I've said before Emily has taught us all to live for the day and run with the good when it happens!!
I can imagine how intense it has been for you both to discuss/decide how to progress w/Tracy's work/career vs. Emily's needs right now. As someone who took 9 years off "work" and now is back - I must say the most important thing is that you do what you think is most important. You family budget will survive and you can always return to work and make up for lost time. The transition back to work has been huge, but I've always believed it could be done, we're catching up in the $$ area , and I wouldn't have traded those years home w/little kids for whatever financial gains working full time would have brought me. So do what you think is right and you won't regret. Preachy enough for you?

Hugs,
Jessica Rose

Anonymous said...

When I was working for the university and a coworker was extremely ill, we were all able to donate a portion of our vacation hours to them so they had more time to get through their ordeal. Might Tracy's work had a similar policy? I know Tracy's coworkers are all terribly concerned and their hearts go out to all of you right now. Some probably don't know what they can do to help, or wish they could do more, and this would be a great way for them to extend a helping hand. A few hours here and there from a bunch of people can really add up quickly and make a big difference.

Hoping for good lab results tomorrow! xoxoxoxo

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Oh gosh! It all sounds so terribly alarming. But then to read on about how she is getting along is hopeful. I'll keep sending along all my happy thoughts and good wishes for a good week and a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. Wishing for good lab results too! Hugs, Jane.

Emma said...

We are sorry to hear about the levels being so low but are amazed at how Emily is doing. She is such a fighter it is incredible. We hope she continues to do well and that Tracy has the most wonderful Mother's Day ever! We miss you guys and are sending big hugs across the miles.

Jayme Gurl! said...

Wow...Chris and Tracy! You guys are really doing well. I know that the battle is still in full swing, but God has been so good. Thank you so much for keeping up the blog. Many of us have not been through what you are going through and so it helps us to keep a perspective on things. It was so good to see you at CTOF in SF the other week. Please do give my love to Em and Hayley and Tracy. I look forward to seeing you on the 23rd.

Blessings...
jayme

Unknown said...

Thank you Chris for keeping up with the blog. It is so great to hear how Emily and the whole family is doing, and I love the pictures. I wish everyone well in the days to come!

Anonymous said...

We are happy to hear that Emily is doing amazingly well, considering.

Many prayers and hugs for a great Mother's Day and more.

Love,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Anonymous said...

When you get to the point of making decisions about Tracy's work schedule, just let me know and I'll be there to take care of the girls.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy, Sorry I haven't written in forever but looks like Em is pulling through. When Chris wrote Phase, is she on a trail med? She looks beautiful. Both Haley and Em look gorgeous in the main page pic with Chris. Now that I have a girl everything is pink!! Well girlie, I will keep praying for you guys. Oh, Chris glad your mom did well with her surgery. Jackie