Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday

Today Emily had her ultra sound, and unfortunately the blood clot is still there. I was really surprised and disappointed to find that out. It is smaller so some progress has been made, I am unclear on how much progress as I don't have that much info from the Hematologist so I will follow up on Monday. She will continue on her Lovenox therapy but they have lowered the dose, because it might start to interfere with her chemotherapy. There will also be days when her blood counts are low that we can't even give her the therapy at all. Emily is happy that she only needs one shot per day, and I guess that's something to get excited about. This illustrates one of the things that is hard about being a parent of a sick child. It is nice they are not aware of their risks and how sick they are, but as a parent you do know, and have to put on a good face to your child.

She is also neutropenic again, which we'd expect to see in this phase of chemo now that we have resumed therapy.

The following was dictated by Emily.

"I am feeling great today. I had an ultra sound and a blood draw. My Mommy picked up saline flushes and gloves. This weekend I am going to go swimming because my port will be de-accessed. I am going to go swimming at a pool on my Grandma's road because I can't swim in a public pool but I can swim in my Grandma's neighbors pool. I am done, goodbye."

4 comments:

Emma said...

We are so very sorry to hear about the clot, it must be really hard on all of you. Emily's view on it shows such strength and courage. She is such an optimist.

Emily, it is so good to hear from you. Have a great time swimming and have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
It is hot, hot, hot here and jumping into the pool sounds really good right now. Grampa has been working outside today, so he could really use it. I hope you have a wonderful weekend at the pool. You are my sunshine. Stay as sweet as you are.
Love, Grannie

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Hi Emily! It's great to read something from you! You are such a ray of sunshine. love and hugs, Jane.

Jasmin Young said...

Hey Emily, you're welcome to come swim, down the street at our home anytime too. Love, Kyle Young