Wednesday, July 1, 2009

She's back to %100 dosage

Today Emily's ANC was around 2600 which means she can go back to %100 dosage. It's been a good 6 or 8 weeks since she has been able to be at this level. We will all be extra good about washing hands at home, and really consider where we take Emily and the risks of being exposed to sick people. This week we will see how it goes and if she can keep her levels up it will be good for her treatment.

Today I was thinking about Independence Day coming up this weekend. It got me thinking about what was going on a year ago. I remember we were going to be in the hospital for an in-patient high dose methotrexate treatment. Those were tough days, I have a picture of Emily on the roof top garden at the hospital, her hair was really thin and she looked much more sick than she does now. She's gone through so much this past year, but also come through so much and thankfully she is responding well to treatments and her body is holding up.

This weekend we are going camping at Big Basin State Park, which is just over the hill from us in the Santa Cruz Mountains off of Hwy 9. We are going camping with our friends the Scotts who we camped with last October. Emily is excited that her "best friend" Oliva will be camping with us. I will be thinking about our independence from the hospital this year as I enjoy the redwood forest.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love good news. It really makes my day to hear how well Emily is doing. I envy your getting to spend some time at Big Basin. Good thing the governor hasn't gotten around to closing state parks. It should be beautiful and hot there during the days with cool nights. My favorite parts of camping are those early morning breakfasts. I'll email you a recipe for camp omelets that is great for a group.
Celia

Unknown said...

Peppers-that is great, great news! i am so happy to hear this. i hope you have a great time camping. lots of love, brandy

Emma said...

So glad to hear Emily is back to 100% dosage. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Lauren said...

Hey there you guys! Aloha! It's Lauren. I just read the latest entry in Em's blog. I'm sooo happy she is back to one hundred percent dosage! It made me smile to know she's doing better. I hope you guys have a fun time camping! Tell Emily I said hi!
I hope to hear from you soon, but take your time
Aloha!
Your friend, Lauren

Anonymous said...

What a difference a year makes...I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends this 4th of July...It warms my heart when I think of Emily and her successes....Happy 4th of July Pepper family.

Love,
Mrs. Breit

Linda Curry said...

What good news! And there is nothing like spending time with a best friend. Have a great 4th.

Anonymous said...

We hope your 4th of July camping trip was fantastic. Yesterday Steve & I drove to South Lake Tahoe with friends to watch fireworks from the shoreline. As we watched the amazing pyrotechnic display, I couldn't help thinking how much Emily and Haley would have loved seeing it. Last year would have been impossible. This year it was better she stayed closer to home. Maybe next year we could go together.
Love, Grannie