Thursday, July 9, 2009

4th of July fun and wonderful lab results

Our camping trip over the forth went really well. The kids had a blast and Tracy and I had a great time too, though the kids exhausted us. We were at Big Basin up in the Santa Cruz Mountains. If you like to camp and haven't been there I highly recommend it. The camp sites were nice and the bathrooms were clean and had showers. We were out for two nights which was nice because it takes a long time to setup and take down a camp site. We were there with our friends the Scotts and Emily, Olivia, Haley, and Stella had so much fun together. We went on a fairly long (4mile) hike on the 4th and for the most part didn't need to carry anyone, though Haley and Stella needed some help the last 1/2 mile or so. It was a great way to celebrate the 4th, though there was not one firework to be seen, which was totally fine with us, nice and peaceful and quiet.

Yesterday Emily had her weekly labs. I left work early to take her, to give Tracy a break since she goes nearly every week. I was nervous because last week was our first week back on %100 dosage and I worried that her ANC may have dropped. The great news is that she completely handled going to full dosage and her ANC was at 2400, which is PERFECT for being on her level of 6MP. This means we stay on %100 dosage. She also cleared the tests so she can get IV chemo next week. I can't believe how fast time seems to be flying in between monthly IV treatments.

This week besides labs Emily is getting in some swimming, so much that she is totally tan, which in our family is a rarity as Tracy and I burn. she and I also went to Ice Age 3D last night after the labs. Today Emily, Tracy and my Mom were given tickets to see the King Tut exhibit up in San Francisco at the De Young Museum. This weekend I am going to attempt to teach her to ride a bike without training wheels. That was supposed to be last summers project, but she was so sick it had to be delayed.

9 comments:

Emma said...

Yeah! What a wonderful post! So glad everything is going so well. Good luck with the bike riding! Al just learned and is still not very confident. Can't wait to see all of you very soon! :)

Anonymous said...

This is great news and just what I wanted to see. You must be keeping the suntan lotion companies in business lately. It sounds like you have an exciting weekend coming up. I vaguely recall learning how to ride a bike without training wheels. I know Emily is going to feel so proud. I hope Chris' running ability is up to the task. Have a great week until your next wonderful post.
Cheers...Celia

Anonymous said...

Dear Pepper Family,

It sounds like things are going well and that you had a wonderful 4th of July. I visited the Grand Canyon last week and found it to be a most breathtaking experience. If you haven't seen it yet I hope that sometime in your future you will plan a trip there. It is on my list of "must see" for everyone. I am so happy to hear that Emily continues to progress and be successful with her treatments. Riding a bike without training wheels is a big thing and I know Emily will succeed at that in no time. I will be on vacation again next week at Lake Almanore in California. This is my week away with no computer/tv/ other technological services, etc. I look forward to returning and hearing that Emily has mastered the bicycle without training wheels - Have a wonderful week.

Mrs. Breit

Unknown said...

Your trip sounded really fun. Glad to also hear good news on Emily's health. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear Emily's treatment is going so well. Things are sounding more "normal" these days, but I don't think we can ever feel normal again.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news about the lab work. Just as important, it was great to hear that you all had a great family camping trip with friends! That is such wonderful and encouraging news.
Have fun learning to ride that bike with only two wheels :-) I have spent many happy miles over the years riding my bike all over. Cycling gives such a sense of freedom and it is a great way to spend time outside.
Thanks for the faithful updates on dear Emily's progress. God bless you all,
Pam

The Locke Family said...

Hello Pepper Family,
I just read about Emily's courageous fight. I'm sorry I wasn't in the loop to help support you when the diagnosis was first made. I'm very glad the latest is wonderful news. You are all truly inspirational. And tell Emily that her friend Timmy says, "Hello." God bless,
Delma

Jessica Nichols said...

Try taking the pedals and training wheels off. Let her ride around like that for awhile. She'll get the hang of balancing without thinking about it too much and then when she's read (you'll know), put her pedals back on.

Worked like a charm for Jaden.

Jessica Nichols said...

...when she is readY not when she is read. You can read her too, and she can read you back. Or not. I think the heat has officially fried my brain. I signed & dated a form as February today. Even so, try my bike advice. ;)