Monday, November 10, 2008

Maintenance setting in

We are starting to settle into the maintenance phase of chemo. Emily seems to be feeling really well, she has much more energy than anyone in the family or extended family for that matter. Treatment is pretty easy, she just has a pill regime that we have setup for her and us to follow and so far no doses have been missed. She is on her 5th of a 5 day course of Prednisone, with 2 more doses today to wrap that up. Since it's just a 5 day course we aren't seeing as many side effects as when she was on it for 35 days. We do see her increased appetite and some depression, the only times she tells me she is sad she has cancer is is on Prednisone or dexamethasone. That shows the profound effects that medication has on a person. This week she will continue to take her 6MP and on thursday take her weekly Methotrexate.

Her hair is definitely starting to grow back, she has a visable layer of "fuzz" starting to come in. She loves us talking about it and making a big deal about it, which we do.

Tracy and I are noticably less stressed, the mood around the house is just better all around. Now is the time where Tracy and I can start to take care of ourselves a little better. I saw my eye doctor today and will see my primary care doc tomorrow with concerns I have put off while Emily was so sick. I also have plans to start to exercise again, which is hard to start but I know will have positive pay offs if I keep with it.

This week Emily has labs, that's it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that Emily's treatment is progressing so well and that her beautiful blonde hair is returning. I hope you have had a chance to enjoy the long weekend. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

mrs. breit

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
Although almost every blog entry has a positive slant, this is the first one I've seen in a long time that really brings joy to my heart. It's good to know Emily is so strong and energetic and that her fuzz is on the rise! Love you all so much. Give Emily a big hug.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
I hope you enjoyed the long weekend! I can imagine that you had tons of dance parties. :) I am so proud of you!
Love,
Mrs. Smith