Sunday, November 2, 2008

Emily's Birthday weekend

We have managed to stretch out Emily's birthday nicely this year. This week we celebrated twice and next weekend is her party with friends.
On the 30th, her actual birthday, we had a mexican dinner at home that Tracy and I made. We had my Mom over and it was a really fun night. Emily was extra excited about her birthday this year. It was also more special to Tracy and I than it may have been in the past. I was so thankful for a happy girl on her birthday. She worked really hard to make it to 7. We had cake after dinner, Tracy made it and it was one of the best chocolate cakes I've had in a long time.
Friday was Halloween, Emily and Haley had a lot of fun. We live in a great neighborhood for trick or treating, lot's of people out and having fun, but it's very safe and low key. Haley was a Lady Bug, and Emily was Dorothy from the Wizzard of Oz. Both girls were really excited about trick or treating, Haley is just old enough to get it. Tracy and the girls went out while I stayed home and passed out candy, then Tracy came home and I went back out with Emily to do another block.
On Saturday we had a birthday dinner for Emily at a sushi place Emily and I go to for lunch. Since eating out with Haley is a challenge we had her at a friends house. Emily invited her friend Olivia to come with us and to spend the night at our house. Dinner was OK, the service was really poor which is a huge pet peeve of mine, but we had a fun time talking and enjoying the girls. We all went over to our house after dinner for cake and ice cream. We actually had enough cake from Thursday night and finished it off. Emily opened another round of gifts, she seemed to really like all of them. We gave her a new pink razor scooter to replace her old one she had broken a while back. After gifts Emily and Olivia watch TinkerBell which Grannie and Grandpa Steve had given Emily for her birthday. Emily and Olivia set themselves up in front of the TV with an air matress and their sleeping bags and watched the movie. Foolishly Tracy and I thought they would go to sleep on their own, but at mid-night we had to go tell them to be quiet. I don't think it was a great idea to let them stay up that late, but birthday's happen once a year, that's the excuse we used.

On Wednesday is Emily's first IV maintenance appointment, and we will start her pill therapy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great week, Emily! Parties and Halloween. Chocolate cake too! I have heard before that nothing beats chocolate cake. I wish I could have seen you as Dorothy and Haley as a lady bug. I hope you have lots of fun with your presents. I love Tinkerbell. My granddaughter was Tinkerbell for Halloween this year.
Celia

Anonymous said...

What a special time for Emily and all of you. I am so happy that Emily's birthday was such a wonderful time for your family. I agree the Country Lane neighborhood is the perfect place for trick-or-treating. I remember many happy Halloween trick-or-treat nights with my own children and I am so happy to hear that children can still be happy and safe in the neighborhood. I wish Emily well this week as she starts another phase of her treatment. Continuing to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

mrs. breit

Anonymous said...

Birthdays happen once a year. It's a good excuse! We're happy all went well, and you all had such a great weekend!

Love and prayers,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty