Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our Week

Emily is doing well getting back to doing the things she normally would be doing. She is more challenged by school than she has been in years past, partly because she missed the first two months and partly because second grade is pretty tough. She is also going to Brownies again and requesting play dates as often as we can line them up. She has plenty of energy and reports to feeling "fantastic" most of the time. This week she also lost her front tooth, one that had been loose for months. The tooth fairy visited the same night.

This weekend Tracy worked so we didn't do much. Tracy is getting her two weekend days for the month out of the way. This morning Tracy wanted to rest, so Emily, Haley and I went hiking in the hills above Cupertino at a place called Panchetti Ranch, off Monte Bello Rd if you know the area. The weather was perfect and we had a great hike. We did about 2.5 miles round trip and I didn't need to carry Haley at all. Emily still has weak legs from treatment so a hike like today was really good for her.

Treatment wise everything is going well. We have been %100 so far at getting every dose of every medication. There are so many pills on different schedules it's hard(ish) to track. We are using Tracy's I-Phone to remind us to take medication with alarms. This next week she will have her blood checked again with a lab draw. She told me today that she didn't even feel the butterfly needle when they drew her last week, it was the anticipation that she cried about. In a few weeks she will be used to it I bet.

Other than treatment this week Emily has school and I will be going on a business trip to Tucson. I haven't traveled away from the family since Emily got sick and I am nervous about being away but I also know deep down things will be fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Emily I am so proud of you. It sounds like you have done fine with your blood draw. What a brave trooper you are. What a wonderful day today was for a hike. Sounds like you and your dad and Haley had a wonderful time. Loosing that first tooth is a big deal. I can hardly wait to see what your smile looks like. Before you know it your new tooth will grow into that spot. Tell your dad not to worry about traveling - I know you and mom and Haley will be just fine.

mrs. breit

Emma said...

Amazing, sounds like you guys are all doing, to borrow Emily's phrase, "fantastic"...I can't believe the 2.5 mile hike!!!! We all have big smiles on our faces to hear you are all doing so well. Way to go Em :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily - You are fantastic! I love that you use that word for how you're feeling. It makes us all know how great you are. Sounds like you & Haley had a great hike with your daddy. I went for a hike Sunday too. It was such a beautiful day to go for a walk. Love you and miss you bunches.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
Wow! Sounds like you had a great hike. :) I love hiking and this weekend was perfect for that. I am so proud of you. You are FANTASTIC, super star!! Your smile must be getting cuter and cuter. ;)
Love,
Mrs. Smith