Thursday, November 20, 2008

One from the road

This week has been good for Emily and the family. Emily continues to do well and is getting more and more involved in regular activities. She still struggles with being bald and some of the side effects of the chemo. for example she doesn't really run correctly anymore, when she does you can tell something is wrong with her gate. But all in all the doctors say she is doing great, and her lab results have been what the doctors want to see. She continues to be on a full dose of her maintenance medications.

This week I am in Tucson AZ, on a business trip. This is the first time I have been so far from the family since Emily was diagnosed. I was really nervous about coming because I was worried that something might happen while I was gone, but I also knew that was irrational and that going on this trip would be a good thing for me (and my company). It's turned out to be easier than I expected. I have been traveling to Tucson for business regularly for the past 11 years and I have a very good group of friends down here, who all have been so supportive of us during Emily's illness. So, it's been great to be here with friends and getting some work done, just like the old days. I just miss Tracy, Emily and Haley so much more than I ever did when I traveled before.

I know with Thanksgiving coming up I have a lot to be thankful for, and that's something I hope you all will think about when you gather with your loved ones this holiday season, remember what is really important.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I am happy that you decided to go ahead with your business travel and am very glad that a sense of normalcy is begining to return to you and your family. Emily is an amazing little girl and we can all learn a lesson of perseverance from her continued efforts to deal with her illness and the positive attitude she maintains. She exhibits a strength and determination that many adults are not capable of. I wish you all the very Happiest of Thanksgivings this year and agree with you we have so much to be thankful for. Hoping you have a safe trip home and praying for continued success for Emily as the maintenance phase of her treatment continues.
Cathy Breit

Anonymous said...

Your posts remind me to be grateful for even the small things. I am very happy that the lives of you, your wife, and your children are returning to normal and that you have gotten through this with an increased appreciation for the things you have and moreover, the people who love you and the people who call you friend. Believe me, they all appreciate you guys. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
Celia

Unknown said...

Chris,

I'm so glad I was able to see you while you were down here, although we didn't get to talk much. I was glad to see that you were in good spirits and want you to know that I am keeping Em and your family in my prayers.

~Nat