Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wednesday

I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that Emily went to an hour of school on Monday, just before she went over for her transfusion. Kids are amazing, there was Emily in need of blood transfusion because her levels were so low, hanging out doing a math project at school. We got a note from the doctor so we can have Emily home schooled, but we'd like her to go over to Country Lane as much as she wants. She almost went today but wasn't feeling that great. We live 2 blocks from her classroom, so it should be easy for her to go here and there when she feels like it. Emily would love to be back there full time, she really likes school and misses her friends and teachers. Lately Emily has been saying "I wish I didn't have cancer." She didn't say that in the beginning, I think the entire impact of this is sinking in.

She did not get sick after her dose of Cytoxan which is pretty amazing. They had to hydrate her via IV before and for 4 hours after, the stuff is so nasty, and it usually makes you sick. Her stomach is a little upset today but nothing like what you hear about. Tracy is also giving Emily an IV dose of Cyteranbine via the port each day through Friday here at home which also can make you sick but so far that is not having an effect on Emily. She is also not using the stroller at home anymore, so a lot of walking, with Tracy or I spotting her. I don't think there is any L-Asparaginase this phase so hopefully she will have more mobility. She hopes to get a little school in tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy & Chris - It was so good to hear Emily's voice when I called today. She sounded so cheerful and up. It's amazing that she has been able to go to school too. What an incredible girl you have there. Give Emily & Haley big hugs from us.
Love, Grannie & Grampa

Anonymous said...

Dear Tracy and Chris,
It was such a treat to have Emily visit on Monday. We were all so excited to see her. The kids kept talking about her visit throughout the day with big smiles on their faces. We can't wait to see Emily again!!
Love,
Lori
p.s. ...and what about that math work?! She wanted to keep going! I love it.

Emma said...

I know we have said this before, but we continue to be amazed at your spirit, Emily you are truly incredible. Sending lots of love.

brian said...

Chris and Tracy,

I can vouch for Mrs. Smith's assertion that the kids were excited seeing Emily in class on Monday. Normally when I pick my daughter Julia up from school, I ask her how her day went. She almost answers, "good", with no other elaboration. Even if I try prodding her by asking her what she did during the day, I rarely get much information out of her.

On Monday however, before I could even ask her how school went, she ran up to me and said, "Daddy, Daddy, guess what?! Emily came to our class today!" She then went on and on about Emily this, and Emily that, all the way home. Then at dinner she went all over it again with everyone. It was very cute to see how happy she was that Emily was back in class. I can only hope Emily's spirits were raised up half as much from seeing her classmates, as her classmates' spirits were raised at seeing her.

The Michaels

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Emily has touched so many of us in so many ways. Emily's strength and spirit is such an inspiration. Love, Jane.

Unknown said...

Hey Chris,

Wow, what a couple of weeks you have had with both your Mom and Emily. I am amazed by your strength. It sounds like you are exhausted but that you have gotten past the worst of it. When things stabalize enough I encourage you and Tracy to take some time for your selves (we would be happy to watch Emily if you don't mind her being in S. Calif. for a few days). My prayer's are with you and your family and if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Carter Kirkwood
ckirkwood@vaultstreet.com