Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Hollow


We went to Happy Hollow in San Jose with our friends the Scotts. Happy Hollow is a low-key park/"amusement park" and zoo. We all had a good time; Emily especially enjoyed the puppet show. It was also hard for Emily. Because of her leg pain she had to be in a wheelchair. After an hour and a half she wanted to go home so we did. The NP we saw on Friday said that this period is some of the worst Emily will feel through chemo, so to me that she even went out today is amazing. No hospital tomorrow; this is the longest break she has had.

The picture is of Emily eating pizza during the puppet show today. She is eating a lot because she is on a mega dose of Prednisone, which is one of the main important drugs. We start a 10-day taper from it on Wednesday which will be good, I think.

There is something that Tracy and I have noticed about Packard and wanted to share so you all get the idea of how into care these people are. We have a phone number that we can call 24/7 and we get patched through to the on-call oncology fellow or NP. When we do, we identify ourselves, but as soon as we say, "Hi this is Chris/Tracy Pepper," they say, "Oh, hi! How is Emily? She's had an upset stomach; how is that going?" I'm not exaggerating. Or we call in with an issue, and the next day we will pass an NP or an MD in the hall at the hospital and they will initiate conversation with, "How's Emily's tummy?" or "I heard she was sick last night." Even the surgeon who placed her chest tube 4 weeks ago remembers Emily's name, knows who I am, and gives me the supportive "Hang in there, Dad" look at me to this day. So we know by the way they act and speak to us that they talk about Emily, daily, in detail. They are amazing people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily -
It's so good to see a picture of you on an outing at Happy Hollow. Every day when I read this blog, I continue to be amazed by you and your perseverance. You have been going through so much and you are amazing! We are so very proud of you. It is so good to hear how the whole treatment team at Packard is totally behind you and your recovery. We think of you every day when we are away.
Love, Grannie & Grampa

Anonymous said...

Emily,

The turkey hen that is hanging around the house was seen again on Friday as I had to avoid her as I was driving into town. Our new dogwood trees have red flowers. The grass is so long we cannot keep it cut enough.
We will be seeing you this week on Wednesday and Thursday. I've missed visiting you and watching Hannah Montana on the couch. Watching the Disney Channel has been quite fun for becuase its so different.
The Smithsters were here on Saturday. I'll show you the pictures.

Love you,
Grampa

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a little bit of a normal Sunday - and it must have been refreshing for all of you to see the Scotts! And as I read further - it sounds like you are aware of the need to relentish yourselves and your souls during this time - good for you. I'm sure Packard offers amazing support and connections for parents to meet with other parents who really know how you must feel.
Take care...take care....
Jessica, John & gang...

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

It's so good to see Emily out and about, even though I know how exhausting it must be. It just shows how determined she is. I am glad you have such a great support network at Packard... amazing teams to help amazing families like you. Hang in there, Pepper Family! Hugs, Jane.

Emma said...

We are glad to see you had a fun outing at Happy Hollow. It sounds like you are getting the very best medical care. Having a staff of professionals who really do care can make all the difference at a time like this.

Unknown said...

Happy Hollow! Oh my gosh, I haven't thought about that place in a zillion years since your Mommy and I were kids. I am so glad you are doing so well and got to go to such a fun park. :-) I am also very impressed with Packard's oncology department- what a truly amazing service they run. I'm so glad you're in the best hands. :-)

Uncle Patrick & Auntie Leah

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Emily ad a chance to got out and enjoy Happy Hollow....Chris your words are an inspiration. I don't think most of us can even begin to imagine what you and your family are going though. I just hope that you are able to get additional strength for yourself, Traey and your girls knowing how much everyone cares and is praying for you.