Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Curveball

Before I start tonight's post, let me first report that Emily had a good day, I will get to that in a moment.

Today we were thrown another challenge in the family. My mother, Gail, has been admitted to the hospital with a tear in her Aorta artery, pericardial effusion, and possible leaky aorta valve. It's life threatening and she will have open heart surgery within the next 48 hours. She is on a cardiac monitored bed at the hospital and won't be going anywhere until she has surgery. Her recovery will be slow and it's going to be hard on her. She had been going through a series of tests when this was discovered so we are lucky it was found before it ruptured on it's own, most likely fatal. The repair she is getting is one that has been used for 40 years with great success. Like I said this Blog isn't about my Mom and I'd like to respect her privacy somewhat. However, this effects us all so much that I had to share. Emily and her Grandma are really close so it effects Emily too. She is aware that Grandma needs surgery this week too.

So now Tracy and I have two close family members in two separate hospitals having surgery one day after another.

Emily had a really great day. She spent most of it out in the back yard. She took 6 steps on flat feet. She had a shower and washed her hair. And she has that Emily smile back that I love so much. tomorrow Emily is having surgery at 9:30am so we have to be at the hospital at 7:30 to check in for it. She will be having her PICC line removed (YEAH), Mediport Placed, Intrathecal Injection of Methotrexate, Bone Marrow Aspirate. The plan is for her to come home tomorrow night.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Tracy,

I'm glad to hear Emily had such a good day. It'll be so nice to finally have the PICC line gone!

Your mother is in my prayers tonight. It's great that this is a 40 year old surgery - someone else walking a path before you do can really help.

Love and prayers to the west coast,

Angie

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your mom!

Will be thinking of Emily and hope her surgery goes well and your mom's too!

Love,
The Learys

Anonymous said...

I will be adding your mother to my prayers Chris. Emily must get her positive attitude and strength from somewhere, so I am going to assume that it has all filtered down to her from her grandparents, through her parents and on to her...I will be praying for successful surgeries for both Emily and your mom.

Anonymous said...

Happy to have an excuse to drop something off at your place today, I felt lucky to see Em doing so well. She looked happily occupied making her art project in the backyard, with Haley throwing hula hoops thingies at the sprinkler and the sun shining over all. I'm glad she got to have a good day before tomorrow. I'm keeping you all, the whole family, in my thoughts and prayers. I really feel bad for Chris, with his flu and all these surgeries happening at once. Hang in there! You are all heroes, especially Em for taking those 6 steps today.
kim z

Emma said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom, as if you don't have enough to deal with. We will be thinking of all of you today. We are happy to hear that Emily had such a great day. We are sending much love and good wishes your way.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,

Please send all our love to your mom and let her know we are praying for her. We are so sorry she is going through this, especially at this difficult time for the family.

We are happy that Emily is doing well. It sounds like she is improving and things are on the upswing in this long process. Please give her a big hug from us and tell her we miss her and think of her every day.

Hope you are getting over the flu, Chris. Take care.

Love, Grannie & Grampa

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris:
Aortic surgery was my line of study for 15+ yrs. I'm glad they caught it when they did. There are a lot of great surgeons in our area.My thoughts are with her and the family.
You are getting too versed in medical terms these days.
I'm glad though to hear Emily is able to enjoy the sunshine and take some steps. That is awesome. hugs- katina

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! I'm so glad that Em had a good day, is in better spirits, is getting her surgery, and had 6 flat steps. But, your mom! I guess Gail didn't have an anxiety attack before? I just can't believe it. My heart goes out to all of you as do my prayers. Please let me know if there is anything we can do. You can always drop Haley off at our house on your way to Stanford if you want. I may need to take her to school, Brownies, softball practice, or horseback riding...but she is welcome...and I have a car seat. Tons of love, Lyn, Mike, Sophia, and Trevor

Anonymous said...

What great news about Emily's beautiful day in the backyard. That is wonderful.
What a shock for you all that Gail is now facing surgery. Please know that I will be praying for her specifically as she faces this challenge as well as praying for your family.
Thanks for your updates and I hope your flu is better. Hugs to you Tracy.
Pam

Anonymous said...

We're sorry to hear about Gail. We will put her on the prayer chain as well.

Wonderful news about Emily being able to take 6 flat steps! That's so great!

You are all in our prayers. God bless and we love you all.
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Jane Izumi Matsumoto said...

Glad to be of help the other day and it was good to see Emily give me a big smile. She just brightens up a room with that beautiful smile!

As always, keeping her in my heart and constant thoughts as she has her surgery and everything else going on today.

My heart goes out to you as your family faces another challenge. I am so sorry that she has to go through this, but so glad it was caught early on. Good thoughts and prayers to Grandma Gail with wishes for a steady recovery!

hugs,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She is such a sweet and special person. I will be praying for her for a successful surgery. Give her and Emily my love.
Love,
Lori Smith

Unknown said...

I am so glad Emily had a good day!

Chris, your mom will be in my prayers.

Kim