Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Third grade here she comes

Today Emily had her labs. I wasn't certain how her levels were going to be, since just yesterday she spent the entire morning throwing up. She either had a virus, food poisoning, or maybe side effects of chemo, we aren't sure but she woke up sick and was better by 2pm. Apparently whatever it was had little effect on her ANC, because it was at 2800 today when we got get results from today's draw. That means she remains on %100 dosage and continues to march to the end of treatment and being cured from her disease.

Today was also the LAST day of summer vacation. I personally am sad to see her go back to school, the vacation seemed much too short. At 4pm today the classes were posted and Emily got the teacher she really wanted and was happy about it. On the sad side her best buddies, many kids she has been with since first grade are not in her class. I think it will be a good experience for her and I am highly confident she will make new friends and keep her old ones close too.

I am often asked, "Chris, how is Emily doing academically in school?" I always and correctly say she is doing well and even though she has missed a lot of school, so far she has kept up. To back that claim I have her STAR test results, and Emily tested at "Advanced Level" in both Language Arts and Math. I also want to point out that she had to take these tests the day after returning from a hospitalization for pneumonia and was really sick. This goes to show just how smart of a person Emily is, she has missed a good part of both first and second grades and has been through so much that most can't even relate to, and she still manages to score high in school. I am just totally amazed and want to brag about her.

I can't believe this cancer treatment has spanned 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd grade. Talk about a marathon. Tracy and I want to thank everyone for your support so far, we are almost there, just 6 months to go.

6 comments:

Celia said...

So sorry yesterday was not good, but boy am I glad the yuck was of such short duration.

I bet if we were to ask Emily how she is doing in school she would say, "Fantastic". Not only would she be right, but because I have seen videos of her, I can even picture exactly how she would say it. One of the wonderful things about best buddies is that you don't have to lose them just because they aren't in your class and you can add to your best buddy supply in the new environment....Especially when you are as friendly and sensitive to people as Emily seems to be. If any parents have the right to brag, it is the two of you.

Six months is very short compared to all you guys have behind you. I hope it all goes very smoothly as the finish line is in sight.
Celia

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris - It really hit home when I read your comment that Emily's treatment has spanned 1st through 3rd grades in school! The amount of time she has spent being in a hospital or home sick is just overwhelming. Her school scores are amazing, but knowing Emily and how smart she is, I guess I'm not surprised. What a great kid!
Love, Grannie

Jessica Nichols said...

Brag away! You have so much to be proud of and I'm with Grannie in that the 1st-3rd grade comment was quite a realization. For me, though, I cannot believe I haven't met you or beautiful Emily yet, not to mention see Tracy again or meet Haley! After all this time posting and FBing, I think it's high time. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful first couple of days of school. I've really enjoyed reading about your summer adventures. It sounds like you had an incredible time with your family. You are amazing, my dear!
Love,
Mrs. Smith :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the throwing up...that wasn't fun.

Good news about doing so well in school! That's wonderful.

May you have a fantastic year in 3rd grade Emily! Keep up the good work.

Lots of love, hugs and prayers,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Anonymous said...

Chris, Tracey Emily and Haley,

What a journey this has been for Emily and your entire family and you have traveled through the ups and downs with more courage and strength than I think many of us would be able to muster. It has been my pleasure to get to know all of you and follow Emily's progress. It is always such a busy time for everyone when school starts up again. I wish Emily a successful 3rd Grade experience and continue to follow her progress. You all continue to be an inspiration to so many. What a celebration there will be in 6 months...

Sending continued hugs and support.

Cathy Breit