Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back home

Our vacation ended last night, we flew from Denver back to San Francisco and then drove back down to San Jose. The second half of the trip was not quite as fun as the first half because Tracy got really sick with a bad head cold that put her in bed for 2 days. We all made the best of it and still managed to have a really fun trip.

After Breckenridge we went to Boulder CO. In Boulder we met up with some really good friends, a couple who I had gone to college with. They used to live in Colorado and were also back in town for a visit before they move to Germany later this month. They have a son 6 months younger than Emily and a daughter a year younger than Haley, so we had a good pack of kids to explore the town. We had ice cream up on "the Hill" and then walked to Pearl Street where the kids played and we eventually had dinner.

Towards the end of that day Tracy started to feel sick, and by the next morning she was officially down for the count. We had been invited to a all afternoon get together in Littleton. I left Tracy with some cold medication and she got some rest in the hotel, and I headed down to the Denver area with the kids. We had the best time. Our friends, the Rasmussen's, were there and a lot of their friends from the Denver area, and everyone had kids, most of whom were 8 or younger, and most of them girls. Tracy was able to sleep all day, and the girls and I had fun into the early evening. We got back to Boulder around 9pm and went to bed. The next day we slept in late. We moved from Boulder down to Denver for a change of scene. Tracy was still really sick and wanted to be in bed. We checked into a really nice hotel with really comfortable beds and Tracy got some more rest. I spent the afternoon shopping with the kids and kept them as entertained as I could in Denver. Tracy started to feel better that evening, with one last day on the trip.

Tracy and I wanted to do something really fun for the kids. We researched and found a place called "Water World" which boasts to be one of the nations largest water parks, it was 64 acres. So on the last day of the trip, which was a nice hot summer day we headed out with the kids to Water World. It was a really fun day and Emily has been talking about it ever since, so it was worth it. Tracy stayed with Haley and did mellow water fun, and Emily was up for pushing her limits on some CRAZY water slides, and I had a blast going with her. At the end of the day we changed from our swim wear into clothes for the plane and headed to DIA to fly home. We grabbed a bite to eat and all sat together on the plane and flew back home.

Today, our first day back I was worried about Emily's lab tests. We had played so hard, and she had been sharing a hotel room with Tracy who was really sick, 2 plane trips with potentially sick people etc. We had been in the altitude and she was just plain worn out. Well, I think a week in Colorado must be good for you, because her ANC today was up to 1600, 600 higher than the day before we left.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to San Jose. I am sorry to hear that Tracy was ill, but it sounds like you were able to manage very well with the girls and that you had a really good time. I am also thrilled to hear that Emily had such a wonderful fun trip and that even under the circumstances it sounds like things at the lab look good. It is hard to believe that in just 2 weeks it will be time for school to start. I will make a point of getting over to Country Lane to see Emily. Hoping this finds Tracy better and that you all enjoy the rest of your summer...

Fondly,

Mrs. Breit

Lauren said...

Aloha you guys! It’s Lauren! I just read the latest entry in Emily’s blog. I’m soooo glad you guys had such a great time in Colorado! I’m sorry Tracy got sick and I hope she’s feeling better. I’m also happy Emily’s levels are better than before you left! I smiled from ear to ear when I read that! I also watched Emily’s bike ride video on youtube. I really liked it! Even though I can’t see the video that well, hearing Emily sounding so happy and having so much fun brings me immense joy!
I hope to hear from you soon, but take your time
God bless,
Your friend, Lauren

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Tracy was sick for a couple of days of the vacation, but it sounds like most of the time you all had a great time. Based on how much fun Emily had at her Aunt Ann's pool a few weeks ago, I'm not surprised she was up for the most exciting water slide activity. Congratulations on the 1600 ANC count yesterday. That is amazing.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad Emily got to have so much fun and not have to "pay" for it later with being sick. What wonderful fun! I'm glad Tracy is feeling better too.

Many hugs, kisses and prayers. Love,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Anonymous said...

I know being sick is no fun and that Tracy must be very disappointed that she missed a couple of days of the family vacation. On the other hand, I bet she can't remember the last time her only job was to lie in bed taking care of herself, sleeping and thinking when she wanted. Not a good tradeoff, especially since I am sure she spent part of that time worrying that she might infect Emily, but at least resting did what it was supposed to. At any rate, all's well that ends well and it sounds like the family vacation was a great success overall with many happy memories created for Emily and the rest of you for posterity.

I hope you all stay healthy despite the exposure and that things continue to go so very well.
Cheers...Celia

Ms. Mama said...

Way to Go Emily, Get that ANC up there and rock on, leave your cancer behind!

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blog Links” with over 500 other cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources and more. Please stop by and visit. If you like the site, please consider adding Being Cancer to your blogroll. I am a t-cell disease survivor.
Take care, Dennis

Emma said...

Great seeing you guys in CO. So glad you had so much fun at Water World!