Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Monthly IV Chemo, exam, and quarterly chest x-ray

Today was a big day at the clinic, Emily was in for her monthly treatments. We started her Prednisone this week and she is just finishing up day 2 of 5. This month she had a chest x-ray along with her physical exam. She looked great and her xray was clear. Dr. Link also noted her blood counts have been looking really good.

After her exam, it was time for her IV Vinchristine and blood draw. This was probably the roughest IV we have had in treatment, it just didn't go Emily's way. They had to poke her 4 times to get a vein and they never really got a good draw at all. In the end they were able to give her the medication. Both Emily's hands were used and she will probably have some bruises.

Besides treatment Emily is still enjoying her summer. Swimming as much as she can, riding her bike anytime she can get me to take her for a ride. She is so tan and healthy looking and gets compliments on her "hair cut". She starts third grade one week from today, I can't believe how quickly the summer has passed.

3 comments:

Emma said...

So sorry to hear that Em had a rough day. Hope she is doing better today. Enjoy that last week of summer!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that the IV insertion went so poorly. Thank goodness Emily is such a veteran and has such a positive attitude or I can imagine that it could have been pretty traumatic. I'm glad she is looking healthy, but I still don't think tans are a good thing. At my age, I regret those "tans" I got as a child.

It is so exciting that school is coming up soon for Emily. I know how much she enjoys the activities, the learning, and the social interaction. I am confident you will just find a way to take advantage of the remaining warm summer weekends to have a great time.
Celia

Anonymous said...

Sorry Emily had such a rough blood draw yesterday, but I'm glad she's having such a fun summer overall. See you all on the 3rd.
Love, Grannie