Saturday, February 28, 2009

Monthly Prednisone

Today was the last of 5 days of Emily's monthly Prednisone blast. For whatever reason it really effected her this month, both in mood swings and eating binges. She ate so much her stomach is distended this month. And she was going from being happy to screaming mad almost in cycles. I am happy it's over for another 3.5 weeks. Prednisone is an amazing drug, useful for so many things, but comes with it's share of side effects.

Emily and I are seperating her cooking orders so she can start delivering them this next week. She and I are also going to another Sharks game this week which should be a lot of fun. She will also have her labs on Wednesday.

We are coming up on March 9th, which marks one year since diagnosis. I don't know how much that date means to Emily but it's a big one for Tracy and I. I think it's going to be a hard day and week for me. I am glad Emily is doing so well or it would be an even tougher day, but in a way I feel like a big part of me and our family was taken away on March 9th. I have and will remain to be positive about all of this because being strong is holding us together, but it's hard to do when the future is so uncertain. Should I be happy, scared, sad, probably all of the above.

On this past Friday I met with Sherri Sayer who is the Chief Government Relations officer for Lucile Packard hospital. She and I talked about ways I can volunteer to help with their initiative to get funding and approval for a new childrens hospital in the future. It's going to be a good project to work on and I am looking forward about speaking about how important it is to have a place like it in our community.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
As March 9th aproaches, I hope you will continue to feel positive and take heart of all of Emily's successes this past year. I know there have been some very difficult times and I hope the support of so many people who continue to follow Emily's journey and keep all of you in thoughts and prayers provides you with some consolation. What a wonderful endeavor to take on with Lucille Packard hospital to advocate for and promote the needs of children and families like Emily and yourselves. I can only imagine the roller coaster this past year has been for all of you. You and Emily and your family are a continuing inspiration to so many.

Sincerely,
Cathy Breit

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that the past year has been such a roller coaster ride for you and your family. March 9th is the date that you all found out that Emily needed saving from that awful disease and that you have the tools to save her. I have no doubt that this will be a hard week, but I have seen you face so many difficulties with courage, persistence, and sensitivity that I know that your personal strengths will see you through this. Nobody truly understands the kaleidoscope of emotions this elicits, but your positive attitude will soon guide you through to that spot where you accept that Emily is a survivor who has beaten cancer.
Celia

Emma said...

We will be thinking of all of you on March 9th. We are so happy that Emily is doing so well but understand why that day will be so hard and emotional for all of you. Emily looks so beautiful! She has the greatest family and the strongest spirit. She is just so amazing. Sending big hugs your way!

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
March 9th is a big date in my memory too. Unfortunately, I can always remember the exact date we learned Emily had to be hospitalized and Steve and I rushed down to see her there and await the test results. Those first few days and weeks will forever remain in my mind. Em has been through so much along with you two and Haley and everyone who have supported her. She is still a fighter and a survivor and she will remain both forever. Take care.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

Chris,
What an amazing little girl you and Tracy have. Watching the bead interview made me realize how much she has been through and how she must be helping you and Tracy along as much as you are helping her. That is a very powerful interview and really does an excellent job of explaining what she has been through. I kept thinking what an amazing adult she is going to be because of this experiene. Her cancer is going to turn out to be a gift to all that interact with her. Keep up the great work! - Cathie Watson-Short

Jessica Nichols said...

Diagnosis anniversaries are hard, there's really no way around it. It is a defining moment in your life of BC and AC (before cancer and after cancer). I know I go through my life as a cancer survivor and I still have this half-expectation somewhere inside that at some point I will return to "normal." Even though at the same time I know there is no such thing as normal. I've gone ahead and created a new normal for myself, but do you know what is actually normal?

The mental merry-go-round you got a lifelong ticket to on March 9th without even knowing you were standing line for said ticket. I think you and Tracy handle this whole new life in such a real way and it is the GREATEST GIFT that you are giving your daughters. You don't hide the hard feelings from yourself, you revel in the good days, you CONTINUE LIVING even while fighting together as a family for Emily's health.

You guys are in INCREDIBLE inspiration to me and I've been on the merry-go-round for 9 years on May 11th. Yep, some days are burned in your brain forever.