Friday, December 19, 2008

Restful end to a crazy week

We are so happy that this week ended with all of us here at home. This week is also the very first time we went to the ER at Stanford and actually got better news than expected. Each previous time it had gone worse than expected, with her diagnosis, the blood clot in the subclavian vein, and the first fever with neutropenia. Part of me feels like someone was watching over us and finally decided that the Pepper's had had enough, and if that's the case they are right, we have.

The night in the ER was a testament for how much we've grown in the past 9 months. First of all, it's apparent that we are very, very experienced patients. Emily, Tracy, and I can have intelligent meaningful conversations with doctors about medicine and treatment. Obviously Tracy can do this, but Emily and I have come along way since March 9th. We were joking with the doctors and nurses and they with us. I remember the doctor telling Emily that he had just wiped a booger on his finger before he examined her to see her reaction, and she thought it was really funny and was cracking up....as they were drawing blood from her port. And when Emily was diagnosed I had to leave the room every time they drew blood because I was so squeamish, and now I can hold Emily's hand and actually watch them search for veins. We also know by face most of the staff in the ER, it's not as scary a place as I used to feel. It is sad that Emily has to go through this, but I am happy she feels as comfortable as she does, and I am glad that I have grown to be able to fully support her through it all.

On Wednesday night Tracy was working at the hospital when we got there, so she was running between caring for her child, and then running up stairs to chart her patients. At one point the ER docs forgot she was a parent and asked her to go grab something from the supply cabinet. She had to remind them that she was Mom, not Nurse. She is required by rules to wear her badge anytime she enters the hospital, so I can understand their confusion that night since she was wearing scrubs.

This weekend Emily and my Mom are going to another ballet this time up in Marin, since we know Emily is no longer neutropenic, it's a lot less worry about her around other people. Tracy and I have some Christmas shopping to do.

Next Tuesday Emily will have a blood draw to see if her counts are high enough to resume treatment. Let's hope they are.

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. I know I am going to cherish being with my family and having a special day together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I don't understand why life takes us to the places it does, but I have watched your family grow in love and strength throughout all of this. You continue to have the love and support of so many people. Merry Christmas Peper family, I hope you enjoy a wonderful day. You deserve it. Have a great time at the ballet Emily...make sure dad let's us know all about it - wouldn't it be amazing if you got to go backstage again. Love to you all.
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Thanks much for sharing the great pictures. Emily is growing up into such a lovely little lady. While you have all grown in so many ways this past year, it is clear that Emily is growing by leaps and bounds. I am sure this will be a wonderful Christmas and that Santa will be especially good to Emily and Haley this year.
Celia

Emma said...

What a heart-warming post. The pictures are just precious. We wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!