Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Consultation with Dr. Link

This morning was Emily's clinic day, and we also had a consultation with Dr. Link to go over the results of the CT scan, and to ask any other questions we had. It was a great appointment, he told us her CT looked great, which we knew already but still coming directly from him it made it official. He also said that the mass she has in her chest is still getting smaller and smaller each time we do a scan. He seriously doubts the mass has Lymphoma in it because Lymphoma grows very fast if it's in you. So this is likely a mass of tissue left over from her massive tumor she had when she was diagnosed. I asked him why we don't blast it with radiation just to be sure. He told me that they, he in fact, has done a study where they did radiate the masses, and didn't, and there was no advantage to radiation, in fact it only introduced complications and didn't help at all. It is reassuring that they have done a study on this for two reason, I am less worried about letting it be, and it also shows that these masses are not uncommon. We've been told it's likely Emily will have a small mass in her chest forever.

Dr. Link also told us that Emily had just passed through a point in treatment where they sometimes see relapse. This is the second such hurdle she has made it through without complications. He explained that each time she makes it through one of these milestones without relapsing it puts her chances of survival higher and higher. The next big milestone is a year from March when we stop the chemo. But he told us that most people who do not survive Lymphoma are never able to make remission, and Emily has been in remission since last April.

We talked about the port and when to remove it. I can tell Dr Link is ready to take it out now, but the NP wants to wait for next month, and I think Tracy is still mixed on it. I can't wait to get it out, it's the right thing to do, and right now is only a possible point of infection and clotting, it's not serving a real medical purpose. If she clotted again I would be angry we didnt' remove it.

I asked Dr. Link directly, "so when I am asked can I say you think she is doing great" he said "yes, you can say that."

I don't know if he knew it, but he delivered the best Christmas gift I have ever received.

I mentioned this before, but want to say again how thankful Tracy and I are for Stanford, Packard Children's Hospital, Dr. Link, Karolina Watson, the Day Hospital Staff, the staff on 1 North, Hematology, Radiology, Cardiology, the APU, APU recovery, the Surgeons, the Play Therapists, the Interns and residents, and yes even Stanford ER, without all of you I can't even imagine getting as far through this as we have.

And while I am at it, big thanks to my Mom and Carol and Steve (my-laws). All of these people have put in countless hours and support to get Emily this far, and I am looking forward to another year of kicking cancer in the rear.

6 comments:

Emma said...

Such marvelous news! When I look at the picture of Emily eating her chocolate cake, I still can't believe everything your family has been through this past year. You deserve the best Christmas ever and it sounds like you are going to get!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris, Tracy, Emily & Haley -
I am overwhelmed with emotion and happiness right now. Today's blog was the best news ever! It is such a relief to know that Emily has successfully gotten through such a momentous milestone in her recovery. She is the trooper of all time. I love you all so much.
Love, Grannie

Anonymous said...

It is such a joy to come to the blog and read of all of Emily's successes. It feels great to see how your care and perseverance and positive attitude has paid off for all of you. This will be a very special Christmas indeed, for you and I wish all of you the very best.

Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

I am standing here crying after reading this! I am soooo happy for you guys! Way to go Em!!! What a wonderful Christmas you guys will have! Big hugs from the Learys!

Jessica Nichols said...

I admit it doesn't take much to make me cry lately, but this time it's tears of joy.

Keep on keeping on!

Jess

Anonymous said...

Your post brought such a big smile to my face. What a blessing- Katina