Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Not the best lab results today, we need to reduce dosage

Today was our usual day to get labs and we got results that were not what we expected. Em's ANC is at 510 which means she is borderline neutropenic and as a result we have to reduce her Chemo dosage. She's just 10 points away from full neutropenia we have to act as if she is. What that means is her immune system is over suppressed so reducing the dosage of her medication should hopefully get it back within the levels they like to see. You worry if it gets too low, and if it gets too high. If her levels drop anymore than what they read today, she would halt chemo all together and wait for the anc to regain it's level.

What does this mean? It means Emily can't be around sick people, and the best way to control that is to not have her around large groups. The tough part is tomorrow is the Second Grade performance which she is in, and really looking forward to, but really we shouldn't let her go. We are going to call her Nurse and see what she advises. Maybe she can go in for the performance and then leave? We will see. It's really upsetting that this is happening at all, not to mention right before something she is really excited about. It's also scary to think about why her ANC dropped to some pretty low levels. And the last time this happened, she ended up in the hospital. The roller coaster of cancer continues.

We will have to wait and see what happens, I had a nice break from worrying. We've been here before and I am hopeful she'll rebound soon. Let's hope she can make her performance tomorrow, it's going to depend on what the doctors say.

UPDATE: Emily's NP got back to me via email, and Emily WILL be able to be in her second grade performance tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys. It's Lauren. I just read your latest post. I'm sorry you got bad news re: Emily's lab results.

I'll def pray for Emily that her levels go back to normal and she is able to go to her play tomorrow. If she does get to go, I have a feeling she'll do wonderfully! What play is Em in? I'm just curious.
I hope to hear from you soon, but take your time.
God loves you
Aloha
Your friend, Lauren

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that Emily's numbers have fluctuated and I hope she will be able to be in her performance today.... and if for whatever reason she isn't there will always, always be another time. I will be at Cl at 2:00 hoping to see her there.....

Cathy Breit

Anonymous said...

I was really glad to see that Emily was allowed to go in for her performance. I know she must have been great. I will be thinking good thoughts about her ANC going up now that you have temporarily reduced the chemo dosage.
Celia

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,

You were wonderful!! I must say that my favorite was the dancing on stage! I was so happy to see you up there. You are a fantastic performer! Bravo! Bravo!

Love,
Mrs. Smith :)

Unknown said...

I don't know whether Emily will be home when we come visit tomorrow, but I just wanted to let you know that Misty and I are well and Ricky will not be with us, which is good because CF bugs are bad for immune-compromised people.

Looking forward to seeing you again, Tracy, meeting Haley (and maybe Emily), and getting cooookies! :)