Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Great exam and xray results. (250th post)

Emily is doing really well. She and I had a fantastic ski weekend up in Tahoe. Emily experienced her first heavy snow storm as it snowed around 18 inches between Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening. Due to an issue with car keys ;-) she and I had to stay up an extra night and miss work and school on Monday. (I lost our car keys in the snow putting on tire chains.) I am still amazed that Emily and I got in two ski trips this season. A year ago I didn't picture her treatment going this well. Even looking back at photos from last fall, she really has bounced back to her old self.

Today was her monthly IV Chemo and physical exam. She also had her quarterly chest X-Ray. (every quarter she gets either a chest x-ray or a CT Scan.) The results of the chest X-Ray were great. The small mass of scar tissue in her chest is even smaller than last time they looked at it. It has gotten smaller and smaller each time they have scanned her. To remind you, this mass isn't a tumor but scar tissue left over from the massive tumor she had the collapsed her lung and displaced her heart when she was first diagnosed. Without doing a biopsy they can't say with certainty that it's not cancerous, but there are many signs that it is just scar tissue. Dr. Link says he sees this type of scar tissue often and he's not worried that it is anything bad. With 30+ years of Oncology under his belt, I trust whatever he says. Dr. Link was not there today, he is in Washington D.C. at a conference. We were seen by Karolina our N.P. who is our main contact for Emily's care. Emily's physical exam also went very well, no concerns. She had her labs drawn and her blood levels have really rebounded, her ANC was 2200, so we are going to increase her chemo dosage to %75 per the protocol. I hope with flu season winding up that we don't have to reduce dosage again for a while, but we will see.

On Monday night Emily had her meeting with the Make-A-Wish foundation. For now I am not going to share what she wished for, but once it is official I will let you all know. I do want to say something about Make-a-Wish based on some questions and concerned comments I have received. A child DOES NOT need to be terminal to receive a Wish. Before I knew much about Make-A-Wish I thought that was the case. One of my friends at work was also under this impression and wondering why I was so happy she was getting a wish. So, no worries many kids who receive Wishes go on to live normal healthy lives. You do need to have a malignant type of disease to qualify, which Emily has.

This is the 250th post of Emily's blog, thanks for following.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news on top of good news. I wish you told us how you found your car keys...Such tough luck having to spend another day in Tahoe! That heavy snow storm must have been beautiful. I loved "snow days" when I was living in NYC. I am so happy that Emily will get to have a special wish realized. I am looking forward to finding out what it actually is when it is official.
Celia

Anonymous said...

This is the best news ever....I am so glad all went well today, but not really surprised I truly believe that Emily's upbeat positive attitude plays a huge part in all of her successes....It is also great that you and Emily had such a wonderful weekend. I have not been in the snow for many many years...I look forward to hearing what Emily has to say about it, and hearing about Emily's "wish" as soon as you are ready.

Love,
Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Chris,

We missed seeing you and Emily on Sunday..dang them keys. However it did enable us to see Tracy and Haley as a surprise...which we loved. The news in today's post is just fantastic. Give Emily her Grampa's love. Hugs and Kisses to all the Peppers.

Grampa

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Tracy -
It is wonderful to hear another amazing story of Emily's progress and that the scar tissue remaining from the tumor continues to shrink. Even though Dr. Link doesn't think the mass is cancerous, I would love to hear the news that it is completely gone. I am happy Emily has had the opportunity to interview with the Make-A-Wish people. She deserves whatever they can do for her. A number of years ago I worked with a woman who had previously worked for Make-A-Wish. She had nothing but good things to say about the organization. I have to say that I never thought anyone I knew would be eligible. Take care and love to you all.
Grannie

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys! Aloha! It's Lauren. i just read your latest blog entry for Emily. I'm glad Em's doing well. I've been praying for her and will continue to do so. I'm also glad the ski trip went well and you guys had so much fun! I'm also happy Emily's levels came back so quickly.
I hope things continue to go well for you guys.
Tell Emily I said hi! I hope she's enjoying the songs!
God loves you
Aloha
Your friend, Lauren.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily:

What wonderful news! I am so happy for you and your wonderful family. You certainly deserve to get such good news after all that you and your family has been through. I am so happy that you are going to get a "wish" and I am anxious to hear about it when you are able to tell me.

Love,

Elaine Steffens (Office)

Emma said...

Such great news about Emily. We hope ALL of her wishes come true. With much love XXOOO

Unknown said...

This is so funny. I was just catching up on your blog and I was thinking "I should suggest that they contact Make-a-Wish for Emily!" and then I read down further and found out that you had. :)

We are in San Jose too and my son Ricky go this wish from the Greater Bay Area Make-A-Wish two years ago now. We went on a Disney cruise and it was the most amazing experience of our lives. The Make-a-Wish people make sure that nothing is spared... We got free internet and arcade money on board, and we got to have a private audience with the captain (and Captain Mickey) on the bridge (along with two other Wish kids and their families). It was SO cool.

(There are some links to pictures of our trip on Ricky's page at http://www.cfboy.com, in case you are interested.)

So whatever Emily's wish is, I hope it is the experience of a lifetime for her (and you guys) as well!

Unknown said...

I had a chance to help grant a wish for a child through Make-A-Wish Foundation when I was at Warner Bros. We gave him a tour of the Animation studio, an artist draw a picture for him, etc., and he got a surprise visit from Scooby-Doo costume character.