Thursday, October 8, 2009

Another monthly IV chemo complete

Emily had her monthly IV treatment and physical exam yesterday. The exam and IV treatment went very well, she looks good and there were no issues accessing her vein for IV and lab draws. The vein in her left hand is getting harder to access, she has to hold her hand in a specific position for it to work. It is getting scared and hard the nurse said. Good thing we only have 5 of these remaining in her treatment.

Emily has gained some weight again so we are once again increasing her prednisone dose from 13mg x3 per day to 14mgx3 per day, for her 5 day Prednisone flash. The side effects of Prednisone are troubling from minor ones to some possible yucky severe ones. I think of all her medications we see the effects of Prednisone the most.

Her ANC was really low considering she is on Prednisone. Usually on her Prednisone week we see ANC's of 4000 - 6000, this week just 1840. What you can read into that is she is still really battling her virus, or that she is fighting a new one. Her school is a virtual virus incubator right now, and we have been holding her out of school more often, through she is there today. With an 1840 she remains on a %50 dose of her chemo. I think it's going to be a while until she's back on %100 dosage. I'd like to remind everyone to please get your flu shot, wash your hands more often, and stay away from people when you have a cold. Yes I am talking to you.

without going into the details Emily had a really challenging day yesterday. I went to pick her up from Gymnastics and she told me she had spent most of the hour in the bathroom crying. I told her that I thought it was incredible that she was even at Gymnastics hours after being in the hospital for treatment. After Gymnastics she choose to do her homework over watching TV with me, again I was proud of my little girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a rough couple of days for Emily and the family. I am sorry she has to go through all of this -- the chemo, the prednisone, the lab draws, worrying about colds and flu -- all of it. Take care and we're thinking of you.
Love, Grannie
P.S. I got my flu shot yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I continue to be amazed at the strength you show as you continue with your treatment. You show more bravery and grace, than many adults would be able to muster up under the same circumstances. I hope that the next time you are feeling low you will remember all of the joy and goodwill your strong spirit shows to others. I miss you and hope to see you soon.

Love,
Mrs. Breit