Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Emily's cold caught up to her, ANC at 340, chemo discontinued.

The cold Emily has been fighting here caught up to her, and today her ANC plummeted to 340, which is pretty neutropenic. We need to stop all chemo and watch for fever and be ready to go to the hospital if she start to get one. Obviously given the flu season starting early this is a pretty big concern. She has not had her swine flu vaccination yet either. I haven't discussed this with Tracy yet, but I am planning to hold her out of school tomorrow so her counts can regain. Next week they will retest her and hopefully we can start chemo again. Taking complete breaks like this makes me very nervous and stressed out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking positive thoughts and keeping Emily in my prayers...she is a strong young lady and there are so many people supporting all of you in this. I know it will be tricky this flu season and I think you should do whatever you feel is best for Emily to stay healthy...hoping that things turn around for her this week Chris.

Cathy Breit

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very difficult day! The blog is aptly named and you have been here before, so I am optimistic that Emily-Pepper-Fighter will rebound quickly and get back on track. Of course breaks are going to make you nervous, but I am guessing that every child in these trying circumstances has ups and downs and it is built into the treatment plan. Take some deep breaths and continue doing the great job you have for the previous 3/4 of the treatment...Spring is sooo close and she will be all finished with chemo then.
Celia