Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another roller coaster day, but she's back to %100 dosage

On my last post I mentioned that Emily had developed some acne looking marks on her face. Over the past few days they started to get worse. Last night they spread from her face to her ears and we really started to get concerned. It looked much more like a medication allergy than acne. And finding something like that late at night, Tracy and I let our thoughts get ahead of ourselves.....would they have to switch drugs, stop treatment etc etc etc. And to make things worse we started looking up side effects on the web for 6MP, the main drug in her treatment. We had made a doctors appointment to have her seen for this anyway today so we were seen this afternoon. What they figured out was she is probably having a normal side effect of 6MP and not an allergic reaction. It also could be a common reaction they see from having 6MP and Septra concurrently. These are all common things they see often and none of the medical staff seemed to be too worried. They also were totally understanding of our concerns and they took the opportunity to educate us more on 6MP and her treatment. I was really happy I went to the appointment and got to ask my questions, I can sleep better tonight.

Emily's lab results today were great, she's back to %100 dosage.

While we were at the hospital we got a chance to see the new 1 North Oncology and Stem Cell Unit that just opened yesterday. Each room is private, with 2 day beds for parents. Each room also has a Nintendo Wii to keep the kids busy while they have to be in the hospital. It's a very nice patient unit, but I hope we never get to experience it. It was built be the Bass Family Foundation. They explained to me that they will be located in the new center until the entire hosptial is rebuilt, several years from now. There is a big battle going on between Stanford Medical Center, the City of Palo Alto, and Stanford Shopping Center. The hospital wants to add 550 patient beds (between Packard and Stanford Hospitals) and the Shopping Center wants to build a new flag ship store location and a large hotel. Palo Alto knows the area can't handle all the cars, so there is the dilema. Do they allow more shopping or more space to save lives....gee I think I know which they should choose, but I think we all know the mighty dollar will dictate what happens. I got all this information because I happened to have met the Director of Care Services for the Cancer ward today. When she told me about this battle with the City and Shopping Center. She could tell that I really care about this and invited me to show up at the next planning commision meeting and explain to the public what an impact the hospital has had on our lives, telling me that hearing it from a parent of a patient holds a lot more weight. She gave me her card and also mentioned she sometimes takes parents traveling with her on her road shows for funding. I have her card and plan to follow up, I have been looking for an opportunity to make a bigger impact. We will see how it plays out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that what is happening to Emily is a normal reaction to her meds and that you are able to rest a little better. You continue to amaze me. I am so impressed that you will put effort into seeing that the City of Palo Alto makes the right chioce. It is frustrating how the power of making money overshadows the health concerns and well-being of humankind. The new children's rooms at Stanford sound marvelous and I too will hope that Emily is finished with extended hospital stays. Emily I hope things are going well for you at school.
Love,

Mrs. Breit

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris -
I hope you are able to make a difference with the City of Palo Alto's decision. I'm sure you would be able to express yourself eloquently after so many months of going through this with Emily.

Say hi to Em and I hope she is feeling OK and the drug reaction has diminished.

Love, Carol/Grannie

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris- great updates. You know your plea to the PA planning commission caught my eye. If you decide to get involved - I encourage you and your team to show up to the meetings. In my experience showing up in person carries a much greater impact than sending a letter. I say go for it! :) Jessica

Anonymous said...

Even with some side effects, it is so good to know that Emily is doing so very well and that they can follow the treatment plan because she is up to it.

If you let me know when the planning commission meeting is, I will try to attend. My husband and I really appreciated that Packard was available when my son had to spend some time there. He was old enough to tell us to go home late at night, but we were virtually camped out there during waking hours. Packard is a vital part of our community.
Celia

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the acne is a normal side effect, but rats....acne is no fun.

We are very happy that Emily is doing so well. I've been super busy at work and stuff, but the prayers have not stopped. You are always in our prayers, no matter what is going on!

Much love,
Auntie Diana ~^..^~ and Uncle Marty

Emma said...

Glad to hear that Emily is back to 100% dosage and that her treatment is back on track.

Good luck with the planning board. Sounds like you can really help make some good things happen.

Thinking of you guys!

P.S. My experience is Sunday nights..midnight is usually when medical things happen, you can feel so alone and scared. I always think the internet will calm my nerves but usually it ends up making me worry about one hundred other things!!

Unknown said...

If this becomes a David and Goliath situation of you and Emily against Big Shopping, who will play you two in the movie? All kidding aside, I hope that you can make a difference!!

Tracy Pepper said...

Well, of course Brad Pitt would play Chris and Abigail Breslin would play Emily. :-)